Best Powered Speakers for 2020 [Our Reviews and Comparisons]
Music Authority may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Do you ever feel like your current speakers are not loud and bassy enough? Then it is always a good idea to get a powered speaker.
Fitted with an amplifier, these speakers can power up the bass in your music and thump out loud punchy tracks. If you are an audiophile one of these is enough to get the party started.
Related Article: Loudest Bluetooth Speakers for 2020
Here are our choices of the best-powered speakers that you can opt from.
|1. Edifier S1000DB
Buy on Amazon
|2. Audioengine A5+
Buy on Amazon
|3. Klipsch R-51PM
Buy on Amazon
|4. Audioengine HD3
Buy on Amazon
|5. Behringer Eurolive B210D
Buy on Amazon
Our Best Powered Speakers Reviews and Comparisons
1. Edifier S1000DB
- BLUETOOTH 4.0 aptX connectivity – Stream high quality sound wirelessly with minimal loss
- OPTICAL / COAXIAL and AUX inputs - Attach the professional studio speakers to multiple sources at the same time
- 5.5 INCH MID-RANGE UNIT - Coupled with Digital Sound Processing (DSP) technology to deliver 120 watts RMS quality sound
- REMOTE CONTROL - Switch input sources and control the volume at your figure tips.
- 2 YEAR WARRANTY - Guaranteed high quality and reliability with hassle-free parts and labor warranty for two years in USA and Canada.
The Edifier S1000DB is popular for being one of the best budget speakers that can thunder your lows. Belonging to the product lineup of one of the giants in the audio industry, this speaker has become a favorite among audiophiles. Edifier promises that the S1000DB is the perfect speaker for gaming set-ups, PCs and consoles.
The S1000DB is one of the cheapest powered speakers that can dish out deep bass. Featuring a simple yet attractive design this speaker is built to increase the projection and spread of the sound. It weighs a rather heavy 18 pounds and therefore, is best used by the side of your monitor or TV.
The S1000DB is a budget range speaker built to deliver a powerful sound. It is equipped with a 5.5-inch woofer that gives you deep bass sound. The combination of woofers and the rear port aids in producing low-frequency sounds.
Coupled with a dome tweeter it also produces a powerful mid-range. The tweeter and the woofer together utilize Digital Sound Processing (DSP) which allows you to pump music at 120 watts over several hours without a problem.
Another noteworthy feature of the speaker is the fact that it is an aptX codec system. This ensures that the device can deliver high definition audio over a Bluetooth connection.
Other connections to external sources include RCA and AUX sockets for connecting TV or PC, optical and coaxial connections and inter-speaker connections.
What We Like About Edifier S1000DB
The most favorite feature of the S1000DB is that it delivers powerful sound with deep bass at a minimal cost.
What We Don’t Like About Edifier S1000DB
The device does not have Wi-Fi streaming capability.
- Deep bass
- Tone controls for fine-tuning the sound.
- No Wi Fi streaming
2. Audioengine A5+
- PREMIUM POWERED BLUETOOTH BOOKSHELF SPEAKERS WITH INTEGRATED DAC: Audioengine has brought traditional high-quality audio equipment into the digital age. Their range of Award-Winning products have been praised by What Hi-Fi, CNet, and Wired to name just a few of the publications who have tested their products over the past 13 years. The A5 Series of Bookshelf Speakers have been the flagship of the range since the beginning and the A5+ Wireless is third generation in the A5 speaker line!
- BLUETOOTH, RCA & 3.5mm INPUTS: Either connect directly to your MAC, PC, Phone or Laptop via Bluetooth or connect any device through the 3.5mm or RCA inputs - start enjoying audiophile quality sound straight out of the box! With aptX HD Bluetooth codec with 30 meter range and 24bit DAC allows you to bypasses the low quality sound card in your laptop or phone to deliver premium quality sound with an extended wireless range of 30 meters.
- PROFESSIONAL AMPLIFIED OUTPUT: Room filling sound from Bookshelf Speakers with 150 watts of combined peak output. Combine these with the Audioengine DS2 speaker stands to elevate these speakers and experience premium sound at ear level.
- WHAT’S INCLUDED: Pair of Audioengine A5+ Wireless Powered Speakers, Bluetooth Antenna, 3.75m Speaker Wire, Power Supply & Cord, 2m 3.5mm Mini-Jack Audio Cable, Solid aluminum remote control Microfiber Speaker bags and Cable Bags, Setup Guide, Brochure
- COVERAGE: Stellar US based customer support and 3 year product coverage is included. Based in Austin, TX, Audioengine has been changing the way people listen to music since 2005. Our passion is creating products that sound great, are easy to use, and make people want to listen to music every day.
The best among Audioengine’s audiophile computer grade speakers is the A5+. It is a mid-sized, self-powered bookshelf speaker that has been its best-selling product of all time.
This device is perfect for those who are looking to pair their speakers with a turntable to create a simple and great-sounding vinyl playback setup
The left and right speakers weigh 7 kg and 4 kg respectively. These are certainly considered large for an average desk.
These two-way powered speakers feature a 3/4” silk dome tweeter and a 5” woofer as well. Each channel delivers 50 watts of power adding up to 100 watts and peaking up to 150 watts.
The left speaker hosts all connectivity points including two audio inputs, a variable output for a subwoofer, an antenna for the Bluetooth connectivity, and a set of speaker connections to connect to the right speaker.
The Bluetooth 4.0 aptX HD wireless capability of the device contributes to high-resolution audio. Besides, the A5+ is not made to thunder the bass because it is designed to work with a subwoofer. But, the sound is full and enough to fill your room.
Additionally, the A5+ houses a 24-bit DAC, which provides low noise and low distortion characteristics improving streaming quality over Bluetooth.
What We Like About Audioengine A5+
The A5+ presents solid bass depth and clarity throughout the frequency range.
What We Don’t Like About Audioengine A5+
The voice clarity for speech is lacking.
- Great build quality
- High-quality Bluetooth streaming
- No source knob
3. Klipsch R-51PM
- Powered monitor
- Bluetooth wireless technology
- Phono/line analog (with switch and ground screw terminal)
- 3.5 millimeter analog Mini jack
- USB digital
If you are a fan of the Klipsch R-51M speaker, have a look at its successor – the R-51PM. The R-51PM entails improved sound quality, ability, and input compared to its predecessor.
This upgraded version enhances the users’ experience without sacrificing any specifications from the older models. Built to deliver deep bass at an affordable price range, this speaker can be a great companion in your small bedroom apartment.
Fitted with Klipsch’s horn tweeters and copper-colored woofers, sound on the new pair is incomparable to its older twin. To deliver a punchy performance the system’s power lies at 120W and peaks at 140W.
System performance is further improved by ultra-low noise amplifiers designed to maximize the efficiency of the device. This, in turn, eliminates the need for an external amplifier.
The speaker’s house dynamic bass allowing you to hear the lower bass frequencies clearly. This is an innovative first for Klipsch’s powered monitor speakers.
Coming to connectivity, the Klipsch R-51PM features a USB port for hooking up a computer and an optical input for your TV. Other inputs include a 3.5mm aux, phono or line input for connecting a turntable and a subwoofer port in case you wish to add a subwoofer.
What We Like About Klipsch R-51PM
The device offers dynamic sound with deep bass. Equipped with ultra-low noise amplifiers, the system is built to dole out sound at maximum efficiency.
What We Don’t Like About Klipsch R-51PM
The phono stage sounds flat without depth or separation.
- Deep, rich bass/li>
- Ultra-low noise amplifiers
- Phono stage isn’t great
4. Audioengine HD3
- POWERED BLUETOOTH SPEAKERS WITH 100 FOOT RANGE: The HD3 Bluetooth Speakers feature built-in analog power amplifiers that bring you incredible audio. The aptX HD Bluetooth codec with 100 foot range and 24-bit DAC allow you to bypass the low-quality sound card in your laptop or phone to deliver premium quality sound.
- FEATURES: Small speakers with a big sound that fills any room, premium Bluetooth wireless that works with all your devices and apps and high-end sound wrapped in hand-built wood cabinets. Simple setup, no receiver needed, no network setup, no passwords, front panel volume control and headphone jack. Bluetooth, USB, RCA & 3.5mm inputs.
- WORKS WITH: Turntables with built-in or external preamps, all music players: phones, desktop computers, laptops, notebooks, TVs with an analog output, CD and DVD players, video game consoles and all products with 1/8" mini-jack or RCA outputs
- WHAT’S INCLUDED: Pair of Audioengine HD3 Wireless Powered Speakers, Bluetooth antenna, 2m speaker wire, power supply & cord, 1.5m 3.5mm mini-jack audio cable, 1.5m USB cable, microfiber speaker bags and cable bags, setup guide, brochure
- WARRANTY: Audioengine builds quality speakers that they stand behind. All Audioengine products come with a 3-year transferable warranty. COVERAGE: Stellar US based customer support and 3 year product coverage is included. Based in Austin, TX, Audioengine has been changing the way people listen to music since 2005. Our passion is creating products that sound great, are easy to use, and make people want to listen to music every day.
Sporting an attractive Walnut finish, the speakers boast great sound quality. The HD3’s are small wooden boxes standing 7 inches tall and 4 inches wide. Weighing just 4 pounds and 3.4 pounds for the left and right speakers respectively, the Audioengine HD3 is extremely portable. Also, you wouldn’t have any problems fitting these speakers on any desk.
The front of each speaker features hidden drivers under a magnetic mesh dust cover. There is also an air vent located at the front that gives out cool air while playing.
All the buttons, dials and inputs rest on the left speaker including a volume wheel, a headphone jack that’s powered by a headphone amplifier and a Bluetooth pairing button. The rear of the speaker is fitted with power input, an output to the right speaker, an RCA input and output to a subwoofer.
The Subwoofer output will come in handy if you are a hardcore audiophile because you will find that the device lacks deep bass. While the bass is audible with the help of the 2.75-inch silk woofers, low-frequency notes are missing. However, the 0.75-inch tweeters dish out powerful mids and highs.
What We Like About Audioengine HD3
The Audioengine HD3 is a compact speaker that provides high fidelity wired audio.
What We Don’t Like About Audioengine HD3
Some of the highest highs tend to get lost during busy music.
- Built-in headphone amplifier/li>
- Lacks bass
5. Behringer Eurolive B210D
- High-power 200-Watt 2-way PA sound reinforcement speaker system for live and playback applications
- Ultra-compact and light weight system delivers excellent sound even at extreme sound pressure levels
- Revolutionary Class-D amplifier technology: enormous power, incredible sonic performance and super-light weight
- Internal switch-mode power supply for noise-free audio, superior transient response and very low power consumption
- Integrated sound processor for ultimate system control and speaker protection
Behringer Eurolive B210D is one of the most sought after acoustic products in the market. The speaker combines all the high performance and versatile components for improved sound quality. Weighing rather light, it is also compact and durable, making it an extremely portable speaker.
This advanced lightweight speaker has several unique features. Firstly, it features high power dual Class D amplifiers that turn on and off thousands of times per second. This creates the driving force behind the bassy music.
To improve the sound quality the B210D offers a sound processor that gives you control of the system. Also present is a high-pass filter that removes unnecessary distortion in sound quality.
The woofer and tweeter parts of this speaker are also called transducers. This Behringer model is unique as it offers a speaker that is fitted with custom-made transducers. This means that the transducers are custom built for each speaker.
Therefore, internal components like voice coils are wound by hand, backplates are in the house, and the processing of the paper cones also takes place in the maker’s facility.
The B210D can serve as a powered PA system, monitor, or a standard stereo system. So, if you are a DJ or just searching for an effective speaker, this model is versatile and can present you with great sound for multiple uses.
What We Like About Behringer Eurolive B210D
The device houses an internal switch-mode power supply for noise-free audio, superior transient response and low power consumption. Additionally, it features 200 watts of peak power meaning it can keep playing loud music for several hours.
What We Don’t Like About Behringer Eurolive B210D
This device features no Bluetooth connectivity.
Although all the speakers listed above are the best in the market, we choose the Edifier S1000DB as the best-powered speakers. One of the most favored bookshelf speakers by audiophiles, this model can dish out deep bass satisfying all bass heads.
Along with the Bluetooth 4.0 aptX connectivity, the device produces high-quality sound with clear mids and highs.
I hope you liked our list of top bookshelf speakers.
Read Another Related Article: Mackie CR4 Multimedia Monitor Speakers Review