Best floor-standing Speakers for 2020 [Our Reviews and Comparisons]
Music Authority may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
If you want to enhance your movie viewing experience, then you surely know by now that good audio quality matters a lot. With a great sound system in place, your movie experience can be exceptional. And, for this enriched audio experience, the best floor-standing speakers is a must-have.
Since there are various models of these speakers available, choosing the best one can become difficult. After thorough research, we have sorted out five best floor-standing speakers that can uplift your listening and watching experience.
|1. Pioneer SP-FS52|
Buy on Amazon
|2. JBL Stage A170|
Buy on Amazon
|3. Polk T50 Theater|
Buy on Amazon
|4. Sony SSCS3-3 Way|
Buy on Amazon
|5. Dayton Audio T652|
Buy on Amazon
Our Best floor-standing Speakers Reviews and Comparisons
1. Pioneer SP-FS52
- ANDREW JONES. From speaker designer Andrew Jones comes a collection of speakers that bring professional-quality sound to your living room. These highly-acclaimed bookshelf loudspeakers deliver on sound, creating an immersive listening experience.
- CURVED DESIGN. These speakers utilize a RF Molded Curved Cabinets design to reduce internal standing waves, resulting in high-performance and exceptional sound quality.
- FEEL THE BASS. A structured surface with oversized magnets improves rigidity and bass accuracy. A vented pole piece also improves bass response for deep, beautiful sound.
- TWEETER EFFICIENCY. To widen the sweet spot of the 1-inch High Efficiency Soft Dome tweeter, we’ve engineered a custom wave guide. Increasing tweeter efficiency, together an 8-Element Complex Crossover, allows the SP-FS52 to bring the sound.
- COMPLEX CROSSOVER. 8 Element Complex Crossover perfectly blends audio between the woofer and tweeter for greater accuracy.
Manufactured by the world-renowned engineer Andrew Jones, Pioneer SP-FS52 is a highly acclaimed award-winning floor-standing speakers. It is designed to deliver exceptional performance with outstanding sound quality.
Pioneer SP-FS52 is designed with attention to detail, which makes it ideal for home theater systems. The three 5-1/4 inch woofers include oversized magnets for the bass to enable the speakers to deliver excellent home theatre experience. Plus, its affordable price and decent bass response make it one of the most high-end floor-standing speakers.
What We Like About Pioneer SP-FS52
The highlight of this speaker is its advanced crossover circuitry engineering, which is responsible for its sound quality. Further, this advanced design is based on the waveguide technology and the audio load on the speaker is divided amongst the drivers through a complicated crossover that contains 8 high-end components, and that is substantial for a single crossover. Through this technology, the speaker is able to take your listening experience to the next level.
What We Don’t Like About Pioneer SP-FS52
The reported pitfalls of this speaker are its weak bass and it requires an additional woofer to get the powerful bass sound.
- Ideal for home theater systems
- Three 5-1/4 inch woofers
- Affordable price
- Advanced crossover circuitry engineering
- Weak Bass
- Requires additional woofer for bass
2. JBL Stage A170
- This Bundle Includes (5) Items: (2) JBL Stage A170 Floorstanding Speakers, (1) JBL Stage A125C Center Speaker and (2) JBL Stage A130 Bookshelf Speakers
- The JBL Stage is an advanced, home-stereo/home-theater speaker system that offers you the thrill of a live-concert experience
- JBL Stage captures every note of the audio spectrum from high to low
- JBL engineering high-definition imaging waveguide design and 1" aluminum dome tweeters
- JBL Stage is a stylish addition to any theater system
JBL Stage A170 is an advanced home stereo speaker system that offers outstanding sound quality and the thrill of a live concert experience.
The speaker features 1’’ aluminum dome tweeters, which has a high definition waveguide sound design. With 8’’ woofers that register deep sounds and bring in the signature bass of the JBL. Further, the speaker can capture each note of the audio spectrum from a higher range to a lower one and merges them to provide pure listening pleasure.
What We Like About JBL Stage A170
By its configuration, the JBL Stage A170 is a 2.5-way speaker with two woofers, which delivers deep bass frequencies. However, its upper woofer can go only up to a medium-range to cross over it through a tweeter.
The combination of 1’’ aluminum tweeter and the dual 5.25’’ woofers provides this speaker a frequency range of 44 to 40,000 Hz, a sensitivity of 89dB, and an impedance of 6 Ohms. This combination makes JBL Stage A170 a highly recommended floor-standing speaker with spectacular sound and bass quality.
What We Don’t Like About JBL Stage A170
The major downside of this speaker is its plain appearance and unattractive design. Also, it doesn’t have any magnetic grilles and at times the high-end of the speakers sound a bit aggressive.
- 1’’ aluminum dome tweeters
- Produces high definition waveguide sound design
- 8’’ woofers
- Delivers deep bass frequencies
- Plain appearance and unattractive design
- No magnetic grilles
3. Polk T50 Theater
- Get superior home theater experience with immersive surround sound & hi-res audio. Featuring a 1" tweeter, a 6.5" Driver and (2) 6.5" Bass Radiators. The 2 bass radiators augment the main woofer and produce a well-balanced, natural warm sound reaching the far corners of the room
- Amplify your movie, music and gaming experience with this T-series speaker that not only sounds brilliant but also heightens your audio experience. Fill any small to medium sized room, produce captivating lifelike sound, which pulls you right into the heart of the action
- Create a full-fledged 5.1 home theater setup with the complete range of T-series speakers from Polk with two T50 Tower Speakers, one T30 Center Channel, two T15 Bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer
- Polk speakers are compatible with most home theater AV Receivers giving you many setup arrangement options - in single or multi-room with 2.0, 2.1, 3.1 systems or an immersive 5.1, 7.1 or 9.1 setup
- Polk's unmatched quality at an affordable price. With these value-priced speakers, you can now enjoy premium acoustics, high quality construction, easy setup and a spectacular theater experience right at home
Polk T50 speakers are engineered with Dynamic Balance Technology offering high-end soaring sounds and a massive boost to the bass even at the lowest frequencies.
Polk T50 is constructed using a medium-density fiberboard cabinet, which is covered with appealing black grain, wood vinyl finish, and curved black cloth grilles. Also, these grilles protect the drivers from damage. Considering its affordable price, the speakers’ construct and finish is quite sophisticated, looks more like an advanced model. Plus T50 comes with five years of warranty.
What We Like About Polk T50 Theater
This speaker is built with a 1-inch silk dome tweeter, a 6.25 inch extended throw composite driver, and two performance-tuned front-firing sub-bass radiators. Plus, the acoustically inert and MDF cabinet construction of the speaker eliminates resonance and distortion of sounds to produce rich and detailed audio. This construction also reduces muffled noise and the rattled disruptions.
With this speaker, the major advantage is its bass radiators, which replaces the regular bass ports. This eliminates audible chuffing noise to produce great bass audio.
What We Don’t Like About Polk T50 Theater
At times the treble detailing of Polk T50 sounds harsh during some recordings. Besides, this speaker is only available in black wood grain vinyl finish.
- Built with Dynamic Balance Technology
- Medium-density fiberboard cabinet
- Wood vinyl finish and curved black cloth grilles
- Two performance-tuned front-firing sub-bass radiators
- Harsh sounds of treble detailing
4. Sony SSCS3-3 Way
- 3-way, 4-speaker bass-reflex system, 5-1/4 inches Foamed-Mica Cellular Reinforced Woofer, 1 inch Polyester Main Tweeter
- 3/4 inches Sony Super Tweeter for immersive sound staging, Sound Reproduction to 50kHz (for High Resolution Audio), 6 ohm Speaker Impedance
- Optimized Crossover componentry for a clear audio path, 145 W Maximum Input Power, One Speaker per Carton
Sony SSCS3-3 Way series is one of the most versatile speakers, which delivers an unprecedented real audio experience. With an expansive soundstage, one can feel the energy and thrill of a live performance.
The modern and sleek design of Sony SSCS3 makes it the perfect woofer for a great home theater experience. These 3-way floor-standing speakers can match the other audio components of a home theater; plus it is strong and portable with enhanced longevity.
Besides, the black finish and wood veneer ensures that the speaker is able to endure a change in temperature and yet it is able to retain its sound quality.
What We Like About Sony SSCS3-3 Way
The standout feature of Sony SSCS3 is its wide dispersion mega tweeter which produces natural and rich sounds. Further, the speaker is built to deliver high frequency and ultra-responsive audio up to 50 kHz – a frequency suitable for high resolution and clear audio. The powerful bass of Sony SSCS3 is worth mentioning, as it is quite stable and deep. Also, to achieve natural soundstage and clear sounds, the edges of the speaker are tapered with faceplate.
What We Don’t Like About Sony SSCS3-3 Way
One limitation of the Sony SSCS3 speaker is its excessive loud amp. This tends to impact the sound quality of the speaker.
- Versatile speaker
- Black finish and wood veneer
- Wide dispersion mega tweeter
- Delivers high frequency and ultra-responsive audio
- Excessive loud amp
5. Dayton Audio T652
- Dual 6-1/2" woofers provide superb bass power and punch
- 5/8" polycarbonate dome tweeter with ferrofluid cooling
- Slim-profile tower cabinet won't overwhelm your room
- Ported bass-reflex design delivers extended, deep bass to 45 Hz
- Clarity and detail that is exceptional in this price class
Designed much like the Dayton original B652 model, the Dayton Audio T652 integrates dual woofers with a compact bass-reflex tower cabinet for incredibly deep bass.
Dayton Audio T652 is the shortest floor-standing speaker with a height of 30 inches, compact enough to fit even on a bookshelf. The speakers have dual 6-1/2’’ woofers to produce a powerful bass up to 45 Hz and bring that right punch in its sound. Plus, at an affordable price, the speakers’ clarity and detailing are excellent.
What We Like About Dayton Audio T652
The woofers of Dayton Audio T652 are the most remarkable features of this speaker. Its construct enables to produce better sounds. The dual woofers are joined by 5/8’’ soft polycarbonate dome tweeter and it includes a ferrofluid cooling system for protection against overheating during high-frequency outputs.
What We Don’t Like About Dayton Audio T652
Dayton Audio T652 floor-standing speakers’ sounds get distorted if it’s too loud. This can impact the overall audio quality of the speakers.
- Dual 6-1/2’’ woofers
- Compact bass reflex tower cabinet
- 5/8’’ soft polycarbonate dome tweeter
- Distorted sounds when too loud
Your home theater experience can be made exceptional with the Sony SSCS3, the best floor-standing speaker according to us. With its versatility and high-end features, this 3-way floor-standing speaker is capable of delivering an impeccable audio experience.
Besides, with its enhanced durability, sleek and attractive appearance, Sony SSCS3 brings in energy equivalent to that of a live performance. Even though the amp is too loud, yet its powerful bass makes it a speaker worth considering.
Nevertheless, you can always opt for other speakers on the list if they perfectly suit your price expectations and needs.