Best Upright Piano in 2021 [Our Reviews and Comparisons]
Music Authority may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Are you looking for the best upright piano in the market currently at an economic budget? Scroll down this list to figure the instrument best suited for you.
Upright pianos have been a dream for most music enthusiasts across the world. Probably the idea to own one such beauty emerged after watching enthralling live solo performances of some of the world’s best pianists.
However, investing in an upright piano needs a lot of introspection since they are expensive instruments. The rising popularity of the best upright piano and the urge among people worldwide to own one prompted us to indulge in the research of the best of these instruments.
We hope this compilation of best upright pianos, the result of an extensive study, immensely helps each of you reading this piece in choosing the right instrument.
See Related Article: Top 22 Best Digital Pianos of 2020
|1. Yamaha Arius YDP162R Traditional Console Style Digital Piano
Buy on Amazon
|2. The ONE Smart Piano
Buy on Amazon
|3. Yamaha Arius YDP-181 Traditional Console Style Digital Piano
No products found.
Buy on Amazon
|4. Casio Privia PX-160 Digital Piano
Buy on Amazon
|5. LAGRIMA 88 Key Digital Piano
Buy on Amazon
Our Best Upright Piano Reviews and Comparisons
1. Yamaha Arius YDP162R Traditional Console Style Digital Piano
- Graded Hammer (GH) weighted action has a heavier touch in the low end and lighter touch in the high end with excellent key stability, response and repetition. Synthetic Ivory key tops give a tactile surface to the white keys making them easy to "grip"
- Meticulously sampled from Yamaha's acclaimed CFIIIS concert grand, the Pure CF Sound Engine provides the tone of a 9' concert grand piano.
- At 33 inches, the YDP162 is taller than lesser Arius models. This height gives a more substantial upright piano look to its cabinetry.
- Using a special design and position within the instrument, the Acoustic Optimizer physically adjusts the acoustical flow, which controls resonances and enriches the overall sound.
- Use the built-in, 2-track song recorder to practice one hand at a time or capture that next top-10 hit single!
Yamaha seems to have lived up to the expectations of its fans yet again with this wonderful piano. Quite taller than several Arius models of recent times, Yamaha has surpassed excellence in terms of stability, response, as well as repetition with this invention. Impressively, the Pure CF sound engine embedded in this piano delivers a tone that’s quite similar to a 9’ concert grand piano.
A feature of the Yamaha Arius YDP162R deserving the first mention is the Acoustic Optimizer, which effectively controls resonance and enhances the overall sound quality significantly. The Graded Hammer (GH) of this piano is responsible for a heavier touch in the low end and lighter touch in the high end. The 2-track song recorder of the piano is yet another interesting inclusion that differentiates the instrument from many others of its kind.
What We Like About Yamaha Arius YDP162R Traditional Console Style Digital Piano
Seems Yamaha has left no stone unturned to ensure this product is high on aesthetics and matches the grandeur of some of the world’s best pianos. Playing this piano could also make you feel that you are laying your hands on an elite instrument owned by a legendary musician.
The Acoustic Optimizer too, as mentioned earlier, produces a sound quality that mimics some of the swankiest pianos made. The keys are made of synthetic ivory that helps pianists get a better grip as they play.
What We Don’t Like About Yamaha Arius YDP162R Traditional Console Style Digital Piano
Well, we couldn’t find any flaws that are too much of a concern, but the piano is more aligned towards beginners and intermediate players.
- Sound quality that’s similar to 9’ concert grand pianos
- High on aesthetics. Synthetic ivory keys help gain a better grip
- More suited for beginners and intermediate players
2. The ONE Smart Piano
- Guided by LED Lights to start playing in minutes
- 4000+ sheet music, 100+ videos, and games in the free apps
- Supporting both iOS and Android, phone and tablet
- MIDI output and recording (please refer to the user manual for setting guidance)
- High Grade Piano: 88 weighted keys, professional stereo sound, 3 piano pedals and classic wooden body
If you are a beginner looking for an ideal upright piano for learning, then here’s the ONE – quite apt to its name. Several musicians, who are teachers too, prefer this instrument to impart lessons to their pupils since it makes their task easier.
This beauty of an instrument comprises 88 weighted keys, 3 piano pedals, and delivers the sound that’s aligned with the output of professional stereos. These features make it quite worth the price. The instrument can be easily bridged with a wide range of iOS and Android devices. The classic wooden body of the piano too contributes immensely to its aesthetic appeal.
What We Like About The ONE Smart Piano
The fact that it can be connected with a wide range of Android and iOS devices is something we really adored about this piece. In addition, the makers also offer several free apps that offer access to more than 100 videos, several games, and over 4000 sheets of music.
What We Don’t Like About The ONE Smart Piano
In the recent past, several complaints of the makers not offering a user manual had emerged. Power cables and adapters that connect the piano with android and iOS devices are accessories that have to be procured separately.
- Easily compatible with a wide range of Android and iOS devices
- Access to several videos, games, and sheets of music
- Several complaints of makers not providing power cables to bridge android and iOS-powered devices with the piano
3. Yamaha Arius YDP-181 Traditional Console Style Digital Piano
- 88-key GH(Graded Hammer) weighted action keyboard
- Dynamic Stereo Sampling AWM piano with 128-note polyphony
- 2-track, 3-song recorder
- USB TO DEVICE port
- LED Display.Tempo Range:32-280
This is another Yamaha variant that deserved a place in our listicle and an equally great option to consider. The Yamaha Arius YDP-181 is more of a beginner’s delight, yet this instrument doesn’t require any sort of upgrade, thanks to its feature set.
The Yamaha Arius YDP-181 Traditional Console Style Digital Piano is an 88-key GH(Graded Hammer) weighted action keyboard. This piano is a Dynamic Stereo Sampling AWM instrument with 128-note polyphony. The instrument also includes a USB to devise port which is another noteworthy highlight and the piano includes a 2-track, 3-song recorder too.
What We Like About Yamaha Arius YDP-181 Traditional Console Style Digital Piano
The fact that this instrument comprises 88 keys eliminates the need of any sort of enhancement, although it’s more of a beginner instrument. This instrument is equally impressive as the other Yamaha Arius variant on our list and there are hardly any shortcomings.
What We Don’t Like About Yamaha Arius YDP-181 Traditional Console Style Digital Piano
Although the makers offer a warranty along with the product, it doesn’t include any sort of labor efforts, which was quite unexpected.
- Although a beginner instrument, requires no upgrade since it includes 88 keys
- High on aesthetics, aligned with some of the world’s best pianos
- Capable of Dynamic Stereo Sampling
- Warranty doesn’t include labour, which is a disadvantage of sorts if wear and tear occurs
4. Casio Privia PX-160 Digital Piano
- Bundle includes Casio CS-67 furniture stand, Casio SP-33 triple-pedal system, furniture bench, Austin Bazaar instructional DVD, Hal Leonard instructional book, and Austin Bazaar polishing cloth
- Casio's best-selling digital piano; new version of Casio PX-150
- Elegant look with redesigned speaker system
- String ensemble and electric piano tones
- Two headphone outputs on front; 1/4" left and right line outputs
This is Casio’s best-selling digital piano yet, highly preferred by professionals and beginners alike. High on aesthetic appeal and an impressive feature and accessories set makes this piano a value-for-money instrument.
A reason behind the rising popularity of this Casio marvel is its feature set which includes a Casio CS-67 furniture stand, Casio SP-33 triple-pedal system, furniture bench, Austin Bazaar instructional DVD, Hal Leonard instructional book, and Austin Bazaar polishing cloth. The piano also includes two headphone outputs measuring ¼-inches each in the front, on the left and right lines.
What We Like About Casio Privia PX-160 Digital Piano
The instrument is able to deliver more than 18 different sounds and the package includes speakers that deliver exceptional quality. These accomplishments of the piano make it worth the investment and ideal for beginners. Many have opined that this instrument outshines several practice room pianos we see today.
What We Don’t Like About Casio Privia PX-160 Digital Piano
There have been a few instances of customers complaining that the sound quality delivered by the piano falls below expectations and external speakers may be required to amplify the output.
- Impressive feature set and accessories offered by the makers
- Capable of production more than 18 different sounds
- A few customers have opined that external speakers may be required
5. LAGRIMA 88 Key Digital Piano
- ♫ PEDAL PROTECTION - The pedal protection will make the pedal more durable and prevent the pedal from damaging or breaking in your long-term use.
- ♫ FEATURE-3 pedal system(Soft/Sustain/Sostenuto Pedal)/LCD display screen/80 demo songs/680 tones/600 rhythms/64 Polyphony/Built-in stereo speakers/Slide cover design/Separable electric piano/
- ♫ MULTI-FUNCTIONAL-Feature sound volume adjustment,multi-tone selection,sound recording control,playback function,keyboard split function etc,let you learn piano more happily in a beautiful melody!
- ♫ USB/MIDI TERMINAL-You can connect it to the computer or mobile device with a wide variety of music entertainment applications quickly and conveniently
- ♫ QUIET MODE-This 88 key piano with headphone jack,you will find it at the bottom of the piano(headphone is not included,but most headphones are available),so you don't worry will disturb others' relax when you are playing.
This list is incomplete without a mention of this fabulous piece manufactured by LAGRIMA that boasts of an impressive feature set. A highly durable 3-pedal system is a feature that differentiates this product from several others.
As mentioned earlier, the most unique feature of this piano is its 3-pedal system. Other noteworthy aspects of this package are built-in stereo speakers, an LCD display screen, over 480 tones, as well as 128 standard GM tones.
What We Like About LAGRIMA 88 Key Digital Piano
Apart from the features, another impressive aspect of the LAGRIMA 88 Key Digital Piano is that it can be played in quiet mode, too. The instrument includes a jack where you can plug in your headphones and ensure others around you don’t hear the sound emitted.
What We Don’t Like About LAGRIMA 88 Key Digital Piano
A few users have claimed that the piano is not a long-lasting product, which is a serious concern.
- Unique 3-pedal system
- Impressive feature set
- Can be played in quiet mode too
- Not a long-lasting product
We hope this compilation of the best upright pianos proved to be quite helpful for each of you. If we were to suggest an instrument based on our research, it would probably be the Yamaha Arius YDP162R Traditional Console Style Digital Piano.
There’s hardly any flaw in the instrument that could prove to be a dampener, and the fact that it is manufactured by one of the world’s best piano makers are strong reasons why you could give this piano a thought. The Yamaha Arius YDP162R impresses with its aesthetics and feature set aspects too, which makes it a true value-for-money instrument.
We suggest you try glancing through this list once again to arrive at a better decision since upright pianos are generally expensive instruments to own.
Read Related Article: Best Online Piano Lessons for 2020