Best Tenor Saxophones in 2021 [Our Reviews & Comparisons]
Music Authority may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Saxophones have undoubtedly been the cornerstones of many musical compositions of recent times. Some of the world’s best musicians have harnessed this instrument to the best extent, which is probably why you fancied playing the saxophone too, like a pro.
If you are thinking of buying one of these instruments to polish your skills and practice regularly, this compilation of best tenor saxophones should help identify a product that’s apt.
Considering the abundance of saxophone options across portals online, this list has narrowed down a few good choices that are some of the world’s best and high on quality too.
Read Related Reading: Top 10 Best Saxophones
|1. Yamaha YTS-62III Professional Tenor Saxophone
Buy on Amazon
|2. Kaizer TSAX-1000LQ Tenor Saxophone
Buy on Amazon
|3. Glory Gold Laquer B Flat Tenor Saxophone
Buy on Amazon
|4. Mendini by Cecilio Gold Lacquer B Flat Tenor Saxophone
Buy on Amazon
|5. Selmer STS280 La Voix II Tenor Saxophone
Buy on Amazon
|6. EASTROCK Tenor Saxophone
Buy on Amazon
|7. Jupiter Intermediate Bb Tenor Saxophone
Buy on Amazon
|8. Ammoon Tenor Saxophone
No products found.
No products found.
|9. OPUS USA By Ktone Professional Gold Tenor Saxophone
Buy on Amazon
|10. Selmer Prelude TS711 Tenor Saxophone
Buy on Amazon
Our Best Tenor Saxophones Reviews and Comparisons
1. Yamaha YTS-62III Professional Tenor Saxophone
- YTS-62III Professional Tenor Saxophone Lacquered
- A favorite among band directors for decades, the 62 model saxophones (and their predecessor, the 61) have redefined the market by offering superior quality and durability at an affordable price
- Introduced in 1979, the YAS-62 and YTS-62 saxophones withstand the tests of time and competition and have been in a continual state of improvement since the launch of the YAS-61 in 1969
- The Yamaha YTS-62III perpetuates this tradition of affordable excellence with new features and pricing
Be it keyboards, drums, or saxophones, Yamaha is a preferred brand among professionals and students alike. The 62 series saxophones first surfaced in 1969 and over the past few decades went through a series of improvements and the result is quite obvious with the YTS-62III. An impressive feature set, being easy-to-use, and an aesthetically-high design are a few positive factors of this instrument that make it worth considering.
The instrument comprises a 62-style neck, which facilitates better airflow and delivers sounds that are close to perfect. The B-C# connection in this saxophone is much better as compared to several other musical instruments of its kind. Hand engraved patterns have been included along the bell to help musicians play it effortlessly.
Several screw-cap stoppers too have been included in the Yamaha YTS-62III, which can be easily adjusted.
What We Like About Yamaha YTS-62III Professional Tenor Saxophone
The Yamaha YTS-62III has a faster response, thanks to its bore, which is relatively narrower than many other instruments. The adjustable thumb rest makes it quite comfortable to hold, which is a big advantage especially while performing at gigs that last hours. The package also includes an essentials-kit, which eliminates the need to procure several accessories exclusively.
The backpack-style semi-hard case makes it convenient to transport the saxophone and prevents the possibility of damage of any sort.
What We Don’t Like About Yamaha YTS-62III Professional Tenor Saxophone
The 4C reeds that Yamaha offers along with this product are quite expensive. Several cheaper variants of relatively superior quality are easily available across outlets today. Since the YTS-62III is more of a traditional saxophone, its maintenance could be quite complicated.
- Adjustable thumb rest
- Several accessories included in the product kit
- 4c reeds are unimpressive
2. Kaizer TSAX-1000LQ Tenor Saxophone
- Includes molded case, complete mouthpiece and ligature set, polishing cloth, cleaning rod, gloves, lubricant for mouthpiece.
- Professional leatherette pads offer maximum intonation control and comfort;
- Kaizer 1000 Series Tenor Saxophone in the key of B flat (Bb) is designed for beginners, school band and orchestra players.
- 45 DAY FREE TRIAL. Play it, test it for 45 days. If you don't like it, send it back and receive a full refund.
- Lifetime no-hassle warranty. If the instrument ever fails due to manufacturing defects, for as long as you own the instrument and have proof of purchase, we'll provide you with parts for free.
This Kaizer invention is reasonably priced and suited for both beginners and intermediate saxophone players alike. A unique design, created to help deliver better sound, as well as a good accessory kit makes this product worth the money.
Yellow brass has been used in the manufacture of this instrument, which not just contributes to its tonality, but also makes it highly durable. A padded leatherette included in the instrument helps achieve intonation control and offers a good degree of comfort too.
The package includes a complete mouthpiece and ligature set, polishing cloth, cleaning rod, gloves, as well as a lubricant for the mouthpiece. The B Flat (Bb) key of the saxophone, in particular, has been designed to suit the interests of beginners and intermediates.
What We Like About Kaizer TSAX-1000LQ Tenor Saxophone
Kaizer offers a full lifetime warranty as well as a 45-day free trial exclusively for the TSAX-1000LQ, which is uncommon among most manufacturers. A sigh of relief for most buyers that they don’t have to worry about the instrument malfunctioning or becoming useless within a short period.
What We Don’t Like About Kaizer TSAX-1000LQ Tenor Saxophone
The Kaizer TSAX-1000LQ Tenor Saxophone has been hailed for being a beginner and intermediate instrument. Considering this fact, the price being quoted by the makers for the saxophone is quite high.
- Excellent design
- 45-day free trial and lifetime warranty
- Impressive accessory kit
- A little expensive
3. Glory Gold Laquer B Flat Tenor Saxophone
A design pattern that is nothing less of a milestone, as far as saxophones are concerned, is what differentiates the Laquer B Flat from several instruments of its kind. The size of this instrument and its key layout makes this Glory Gold product ideal for children and adults alike.
The bells decorated around the instrument are hand-engraved, and the saxophone also includes high-quality leather pads with metal resonators. The saxophone’s design too is quite impressive from a comfort standpoint. It includes an adjustable thumb rest and the keys are accurately placed along the saxophone’s neck to help users play it effortlessly. The makers have provided key height screws too, which can be adjusted to the required extent.
What We Like About Glory Gold Laquer B Flat Tenor Saxophone
Apart from its design, which is ergonomics-friendly and helps deliver excellent sound quality, the accessory kit of this Glory Gold instrument makes it worth the investment. For the price being quoted, you also get 10 pc reeds, a mouthpiece, a screwdriver, a cleaning cloth, and rod, as well as a pair of gloves. If you were thinking of gifting this instrument to a prodigy then go ahead because there are hardly many other great options.
What We Don’t Like About Glory Gold Laquer B Flat Tenor Saxophone
Probably a cost-cutting measure of the makers, but the use of cheap materials to manufacture the body of the saxophone hasn’t gone down too well with a few users. Quite a few professional musicians have raised concerns about the durability of this saxophone.
- Impressive range of accessories
- High on ergonomics
- Cheap material used in manufacturing
4. Mendini by Cecilio Gold Lacquer B Flat Tenor Saxophone
- All Levels, All Ages: Thinking of picking up a tenor sax? Or maybe you're a professional in need of a replacement? Either way, our saxophones are the answer! They're great for players of all ages and skills levels.
- Quality Sound: Whether you're a pro, a student, or just a hobbyist, you won't be disappointed with the top tier quality of this horn's sound! Plus, you can make sure you're playing at your best with the included saxophone tuning device.
- Multiple Colors: Looking to stand out musically AND visually? We've got several color options to choose from! Gold, nickel, black - take your pick and get creative!
- Travel Safely: Our nylon case ensures that your sax stays safe, even on the go. It includes a backpack strap for easy carrying, PLUS zippered pockets to keep extra reeds or your tuner in!
- Bonus: You don't just get an instrument with us - you get the case, a mouthpiece with a cap, a tuner, 10 reeds (2.5"), a polishing cloth, a cleaning rod, AND a pair of white gloves keep your sax spot-free!
Any discussion about musical instruments is probably incomplete without mentioning a Mendini by Cecilio’s invention. This saxophone delivers a warm, smooth sound, is adjustable, and quite easy to play. Close examination of the instrument has helped us understand that the makers have strived to ensure there’s little discomfort while playing this instrument.
This is an almost-perfect saxophone for professional gigs since it has quite a few noteworthy features that help deliver excellent sound quality. For instance, the inlays are made of faux mother of pearl, and durable leather pads, contoured keys as well as metal tone boosters. The ribbed build and large bore of the saxophone are additional qualities to look forward to with this instrument.
That’s not all, Mendini by Cecilio offers an accessory kit along with this product that includes a hardshell case, neck strap, mouthpiece, 10 2.5” reeds, cleaning supplies, gloves, Cecilio 92-D digital metronome and tuner.
What We Like About Mendini by Cecilio Gold Lacquer B Flat Tenor Saxophone
The advantage of buying a Glory Gold Laquer B Flat Tenor Saxophone is that five different kinds of finishes of this product are available. These include gold lacquer, nickel, black/gold, gold/nickel, as well as black/nickel. Not many manufacturers offer these many choices in their musical instruments. In addition, the makers are offering a 1-year warranty along with the product too.
What We Don’t Like About Mendini by Cecilio Gold Lacquer B Flat Tenor Saxophone
In the recent past, a few customers had questioned the quality of the materials used in the construction of the Mendini by Cecilio Gold Lacquer B Flat Tenor Saxophone. A common complaint was that the product was highly susceptible to damage when stuffed inside bags, especially for those long tours.
- Several finish options
- 1-year warranty
- Cheap materials used in the construction
5. Selmer STS280 La Voix II Tenor Saxophone
- Clear Lacquered body, neck, and bell
- High F# Key
- Includes: Trek style case / Selmer mouthpiece / ligature and cap / care products
- Ideal for concert band and solo playing
- Inheriting the pure intonation and fluid keywork of the original La Voix saxophones
Be it a solo performance, or a concert, the Selmer STS280 is ideal for both these events and this is a rare quality among saxophones.
The instrument has several adjusting screws as well as a rocking mechanism, which offers a lot of flexibility to its users and also delivers great sound quality. The makers have retained the traditional bell in this saxophone, which is responsible for the fluid tone it delivers.
Measuring roughly around 33 x 14 x 9.5 inches and weighing nearly 1.77 pounds, this saxophone isn’t too heavy and is quite portable too. Carrying it along during those musical tours isn’t going to be too herculean a task.
What you also get for the quoted price is a Trek-style case, a Selmer mouthpiece, ligature, and cap, as well as care products.
What We Like About Selmer STS280 La Voix II Tenor Saxophone
The ribbed construction of the Selmer STS280 La Voix II Tenor Saxophone makes it a portable instrument and easy to stuff into a bag too. There are a very few instruments out there that offer the balance in intonation that the STS280 does. The inclusion of leather pads in the construction of this saxophone makes it really comfortable to hold the instrument for long durations without hurting your arms.
What We Don’t Like About Selmer STS280 La Voix II Tenor Saxophone
Several users felt that the keypads could be arranged in a better fashion across the instrument. However, if you are willing to overlook this shortcoming, it is quite an impressive saxophone for its price.
- Balanced intonation
- Use of leather pa
- Keypad arrangement unimpressive
6. EASTROCK Tenor Saxophone
- 【Top Material】Our beautiful instrument used selected h68 copper material and multi-layer painted transparent lacquered gold,durable and non-fading and Hand carved on the appearance and high-quality shell buttons make the sax more perfect.EASTROCK saxophone is definitely an outstanding musical instrument in terms of quality and appearance.
- 【Excellent Sound】The EASTROCK saxophone have been professionally adjusted before leaving the factory to ensure that have good sound without noise, and the buttons have good feedback and look perfect when the fingers are pressed down.
- 【Advanced Design】EASTROCK saxophone used upgraded quality leather so that make the saxaphone have higher air tightness,used the upgraded quality copper needle spring make the instrument more smooth.Choose EASTROCK must be your best investment,NEVER let you disappoint.
- 【Suitable For Any Level Player】EASTROCK saxophone is suitable for students,beginners,school,concert,gifts and any level players.Tone B-Flat to High F.Package included one tenor saxophone,portable updated hard case,Mouthpiece,neck strap,Reeds,Mouthpiece Cushion Pads,Cleaning Cloth&Cleaning Rod,White Gloves,Alcohol Pads.Absolute value for money.
- 【100% Money Back】EASTROCK musician instrument have 1 year manufacture warranty against defect.Any problems,please feel free to contact us,we must give you satisfied solutions.
Constructed using high-quality copper, this EASTROCK invention is ideal for learners, orchestra performances, and even bands. The keys of this instrument deliver a unique quality since they are easy to toggle and there’s little possibility of leaks.
The instrument is well-known for its gold lacquer carved by hand across its body, which renders its three-dimensional structure. The use of gold also makes the saxophone seem highly appealing.
The makers offer an accessory kit which includes a hard case, one reed, a plastic mouthpiece, a cleaning cloth and rod, white gloves, an alcohol pad, and a strap. So, you don’t really have to buy any accessory exclusively for the maintenance of this saxophone.
A high-quality hard case, which is also quite light, is offered by the makers to package and encapsulate the instrument. The interiors of this hard case include plush-lined nylon, which makes it perfect to carry for tour gigs.
What We Like About EASTROCK Tenor Saxophone
The keys of the saxophone have been constructed with the utmost care, and are high on ergonomics. As a quality assurance measure, the makers are offering a one-year warranty along with the saxophone. This fact should be a sigh of relief if you are wondering if the product would conk within a few months.
An exclusive quality inspection team closely examines the saxophone and tests the device thoroughly before it is distributed across stores, which is why the quality can be trusted.
What We Don’t Like About EASTROCK Tenor Saxophone
Although quite durable and high on quality, the EASTROCK Tenor Saxophone is more of a beginner instrument, and if you are graduating to a professional, it is better to switch to a more sophisticated one.
- High on ergonomics
- One-year warranty
- More of a beginner instrument
7. Jupiter Intermediate Bb Tenor Saxophone
- The Silver-Plated Sona-Pure Neck is created using special artisan tooling and annealing processes that results in a dark, vintage tonal quality
- Silver-Plated Brass Body is made from the highest quality brass and finished with a bright silver-plate ensuring fine playability and tonal brilliance
- Contoured Left-Hand Table Keys with Tilting Bb Rocker Arm provides more comfortable fingering and added agility for the advancing student
This Jupiter instrument, aimed at catering to the needs of professionals, is a perfect mix of hand-crafted design as well as modern technology. The components used in the manufacture of this saxophone helps create a wide range of musical composition, which can be seldom done using other instruments of its kind.
There are several noteworthy features in the Jupiter Intermediate Bb Tenor Saxophone which makes it worth an investment. These include a hand-crafted Sona-Pure brass neck, adjustable palm keys, a gold-lacquered body, as well as a well-engraved bell.
The adjustable front F, as well as adjustable G# -Bb table keys, are other unique aspects of the saxophone’s design, which has addressed several shortcomings of its predecessors.
Upper and lower stack adjustment screws, blued steel springs, as well as metal tone boosters, are other components that help the instrument deliver a sound quality that’s unique to it. The manufacturers also offer a lightweight FQ Series form-fitted zippered case with shoulder straps, which makes it easy to carry this instrument.
What We Like About Jupiter Intermediate Bb Tenor Saxophone
The number of components used to improve the tonality of the instrument is commendable. The product is also high on aesthetics and is quite a success on the ergonomics front too.
What We Don’t Like About Jupiter Intermediate Bb Tenor Saxophone
The instrument is quite expensive and best suited for professional musicians and orchestras. However, if you are willing to overlook the price aspect, the product is worth the investment.
- Aesthetically high
- Several impressive features
- Quite expensive
8. Ammoon Tenor Saxophone
No products found.
Slowly but steadily the Ammoon Tenor Saxophone is rising in popularity among novices and professionals alike and has turned into a stiff competitor for several brands. This brass-polished, lacquer-finished instrument is also one of the cheapest instruments of its kind available today. The saxophone triumphs with the sound quality aspect too, which is another reason probably why it is quite popular at present.
The makers have constructed this instrument using brass and have silver-coated it to ensure it is high on aesthetics and highly durable too. The surface includes a beautifully carved pattern and a bell that measures 16 centimeters in diameter, which collectively contribute to the instrument’s exceptional sound quality. An important factor that contributes to the tone this instrument delivers is the attachment of the reed to the mouthpiece.
The product is delivered in a padded case that helps protect the instrument and store it easily. Ammoon also offers a mouthpiece, a neck strap, two case belts, a brush, a cleaning rod, as well as a hardshell case for the price being quoted.
What We Like About Ammoon Tenor Saxophone
The saxophone has garnered several positive reviews for its rich tone, which is a considerable improvement as compared to several instruments of its kind that arrived in the recent past.
What We Don’t Like About Ammoon Tenor Saxophone
A few users have complained of noise leaks and felt the keys could have been better aligned.
- Rich tone
- Aesthetically-high silver tone
- Noise leaks and poor key alignment
9. OPUS USA By Ktone Professional Gold Tenor Saxophone
- French Super Style
- Bb Key with High F# key
- Durable Body & Keys
- U.S.A. Mouth Piece
- A complete package with everything you need to start playing!
The French Super Style construction is the biggest highlight of this saxophone since it is a design preferred by many professionals.
The saxophone’s body and keys have been designed and tested for durability so that they don’t wear out within a short period.
The product would be delivered in a hard-shell case, which helps prevent damage when the saxophone is being transported. This Opus USA product has been tuned to the key of B-flat and includes a high F# key that helps musicians in being versatile while playing. The mouthpiece is of American make, which is a basic quality expectation most buyers have from saxophones.
The accessory kit being offered comprises of a cleaning cloth, white gloves, neck strap, hard-shell case, as well as reeds, which is an impressive set.
What We Like About OPUS USA By Ktone Professional Gold Tenor Saxophone
Its durable body and tough key construction are the factors to like the most about this OPUS USA product. The warm and full tone that the saxophone offers is quite unique and steers it ahead of several other instruments of its kind in terms of sound quality. The makers also offer a one-year factory warranty along with this product.
Despite all these impressive factors, the saxophone is quite cheaply-priced, which makes it an investment option worth being considered.
What We Don’t Like About OPUS USA By Ktone Professional Gold Tenor Saxophone
The Gold Tenor Saxophone includes an octave key that is quite delicate and easily prone to damage as compared to several other products of its kind.
- Quite cheap
- Highly durable
- High F# key
- Octave keys are prone to damage
10. Selmer Prelude TS711 Tenor Saxophone
- Yellow brass body includes ribbed construction and a detachable reinforced body-to-bow connection for added strength and durability
- Designed as an affordable option for beginning band students
- Left-hand table key rocker mechanism with articulated C# adjusting screw
- High F# key
- Molded mouthpiece with cap and ligature
We couldn’t resist including this Selmer invention in our list for its many advantages. Its impressive feature set and exotic design are two reasons why you could probably consider this instrument.
The Selmer Prelude TS711 Tenor Saxophone includes several interesting features that contribute to its sound quality. The instrument is made up of brass and has a dark lacquered finish, which not only contributes to the sound output but makes the saxophone seem appealing.
In addition, its unique bore design is another reason which is responsible for its amazing projection. These include an articulated C# adjusting screw, a molded mouthpiece with cap and ligature, and an engraved bell.
What We Like About Selmer Prelude TS711 Tenor Saxophone
The Selmer Prelude TS711 Tenor Saxophone is one of the most affordable options around for beginners, which is why it is currently a hot favorite worldwide. The body-to-bow connection can be easily detached, which makes the Selmer Prelude TS711 Tenor Saxophone quite a flexible instrument.
What We Don’t Like About Selmer Prelude TS711 Tenor Saxophone
The Selmer Prelude TS711 Tenor Saxophone is a bit expensive for a beginner instrument. A few users have opined that the hard case being offered along with the product is bigger than the size of the instrument itself.
- Impressive feature set
- Detachable body-to-bow connection
We hope reading this compilation of best tenor saxophones has proved to be a satisfying experience for you and helped you arrive at a decision, considering your price and quality expectations. A comparative study of the feature set versus price could further help in arriving at the best option.
More to read: