Best Phaser Pedal for 2022 [Our Reviews and Comparisons]
Music Authority may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Are you looking to enhance your skills as a guitarist? If yes, this can be achieved through phaser pedals, which allow experimenting by adding layered effects to create unique music with your guitar. To help you out, we have reviewed the five best phaser pedals available on the market today.
Read further to take your guitar effects to another level.
|1. MXR EVH90 Phase 90
Buy on Amazon
|2. TC Electronic Helix Phaser Pedal
Buy on Amazon
|3. BOSS Phase Shifter Guitar Pedal (PH-3)
Buy on Amazon
|4. Behringer Vintage Phaser VP1
Buy on Amazon
|5. EarthQuaker Devices Grand Orbiter V2
Buy on Amazon
Our Best Phaser Pedal for 2020 Reviews and Comparisons
1. MXR EVH90 Phase 90
- Grab a piece of Eddie's magic with the MXR EVH 90—a collaboration between Eddie Van Halen and Dunlop
- Instantly toggle between a vintage, "Script Logo" phase tone and a more modern "Block Logo" phaser
- EVH 90 sports the greatest graphics in the history of rock: the red, white, and black stripes from Eddie's legendary Frankenstein guitar
- Please refer user manual attached under product details for instructions and troubleshooting steps.
Eddie Van Halen and Dunlop collaborated together to create the updated version of Phase 90 pedal, which is EVH90. This pedal model produces the same great spacey swirls and hypnotic warbles, which is similar to Phase 90.
Built with eye-catching graphics, MXR EVH90 can not only provide the same spacey swirls but also produce distinguishable rings and can tailor the speed of the phases. Another feature of MXR EVH890 is its script logo and block logo. The script logo is for vintage tones and the block logo is to give that modern edge to the tones while playing.
What We Like About MXR EVH90 Phase 90
MXR EVH90 has a Script button that switches the pedal from the block logo mode to the script logo mode. This makes MXR EVH90 a ‘two in one’ phaser pedal for the guitars. Besides, the pedal has a single footswitch and large black colored ‘speed’ knob to control the phase effects.
What We Don’t Like About MXR EVH90 Phase 90
The EVH90 comes with a high price tag. Also, it produces sounds that are not quite varied on musical terms.
- Same Spacey swirls
- Distinguishable rings
- Script logo and Block logo
- Classic tones with modern edgy tones
- Speed Knob- controller of phase effects
- Not very versatile in sounds
2. TC Electronic Helix Phaser Pedal
- Amazing range of high-quality Phaser tones
- Tone print enabled - for a world of signature and customizable effects
- Stereo I/O
- True of buffered bypass
TC Electronic Helix Phaser Pedal stands out as one of the most versatile phaser pedals on the market today. It can produce a powerful array of high-quality phaser tones, which enhances your soundscape and music.
Electronic Helix Pedal is a part of the TonePrint series, which is responsible for its versatility. TonePrint allows you to download presets from popular guitarists and to customize your pedal sounds.
With its pragmatic design, this pedal enables you to switch between the classic flavors of sounds producing a melodic and metallic tone.
What We Like About TC Electronic Helix Phaser Pedal
Besides its versatility, Electronic Helix Pedal has another simple yet attractive features like four different knobs and three distinct switch modes. The four knobs control various aspects of the sounds produced – speed, depth, feedback and wet/dry mix of the pedal.
While the three different switch modes – Vintage, Smooth, and TonePrint enable the pedal to produce quite decent and rich sounds compared to other digital phasers. Another likable feature is its analog stereo input and output which creates analog sounds for all kinds of events through its two channels.
What We Don’t Like About TC Electronic Helix Phaser Pedal
The downside of Electronic Helix Pedal is its mixed-signal part, which tends to become inaudible when played under some specific setting. Also, the Helix model lacks the harmonics of the analog pedals.
- Quite versatile
- Produces high-quality of phaser tones
- Part of TonePrint series
- Allows customization of pedal sounds
- Four knobs
- Three switch modes
- Analog stereo input and output
- Inaudible mixed signal under certain setting
- Lacks the harmonics of analog pedals
3. BOSS Phase Shifter Guitar Pedal (PH-3)
- Phase Shifter Pedal f Guitar/Bass
The Boss Phase Shifter PH-3 Pedal provides a range of vintage and modern effects for unique and one-directional phasing.
The modern and vintage phasing effects of Bose PH-3 include the ‘rise’ and ‘fall’ mode for unidirectional phasing. Also, the function of ‘tap tempo’ is used to sync the different tempos, which is suitable for live performances. Features like speed and rate are usually controlled by connecting PH-3 to an external expression pedal.
What We Like About BOSS Phase Shifter Guitar Pedal (PH-3)
The most impressive feature of Boss Phase Shifter PH-3 Pedal comes with four distinct knobs, and three of them are to control the rate, depth, and resonance. The fourth one is the stage signal knob that allows you to control the shifting limit of the signal.
With this pedal, you can create a varied range of sounds using 4, 8, 10 and 12 stage phasing. This pedal has a variety of controls and because it is easy to use it’s suitable for both beginners and advanced level guitar players.
What We Don’t Like About BOSS Phase Shifter Guitar Pedal (PH-3)
On the downside, this pedal is not suitable for guitarists who prefer analog sounds, as the Bose PH-3 is more digital. Also, it falls on the expensive side amongst other pedals.
- Modern and vintage phasing effects
- Unidirectional phasing
- Four distinct knobs
- ‘Tap Tempo’
- External expression pedal- speed and rate controller
- Sounds too digital
4. Behringer Vintage Phaser VP1
- Authentic and classic three dimensional phase shifting—from rapid rotary speaker to impressive jet plane effects
- This BEHRINGER product has been designed to compete head to head with leading products on the market
- Dedicated Rate control and separate Color switch for fine-tuning of effects speed and tone
- Status LED for effect on/off
- True hard-wire bypass for ultimate signal integrity
With genuine and classic three-dimensional phase shifting, Behringer Vintage Phaser VP1 is designed in a way to compete with the leading phaser pedals on the market.
Behringer Vintage Phaser VP1 is built with impeccable features such as a dedicated rate knobs and a color switch. These features enable the pedal to produce varied authentic tones, from bubbly rotary effects to jet plane sounds.
At an affordable price, Behringer VP1 provides impressive and classic tones.
What We Like About Behringer Vintage Phaser VP1
The Behringer Vintage Phaser VP1 has simple functioning. Besides, it has a big knob to set the speed of the phasing effect. And to add more definition to the sounds produced in the upward position, the pedal has a tone switch.
Contrary to it is the downward position setting, where the same tone switch allows slow sweep in the tones without causing any change in the original sound. So, from subtle effects to a harsh swirling sound, this pedal has the ability to deliver warm and vintage tones.
What We Don’t Like About Behringer Vintage Phaser VP1
At times Behringer VP1 develops some hiss sounds, which can impact the quality of sounds. Moreover, as a pedal it is not very powerful compared to its competitors on the market.
- Three dimensional phase shifting
- Dedicated rate knobs
- Color switch
- Can produce varied authentic tones
- Speed setting knob
- Tone switch
- Some hiss sounds effects tones
- Not very powerful compared to its rivals
5. EarthQuaker Devices Grand Orbiter V2
- A 4 stage OTA-based phaser with a diverse feature set that can go from stationary and resonant to slow and mellow and on through fast and swirly
- Three-way toggle switch allows you to select between different ranges of modulation
- Rate 1 is a slow sweep mode, Rate 2 kills the LFO and allows you to use the Grand Orbiter as a fixed resonant filter and Rate 3 is fast sweep mode
- The master Rate control lets you fine tune the speed of the LFO in each of these modes
- Can be used as a true pitch vibrato with the “Phase/Vibrato” switch; when in “Vibrato” mode, the dry signal is removed and the Depth controls acts as a volume control
EarthQuaker Devices Grand Orbiter V2 is built with numerous features, which can make stationary and resonant sounds to slow and mellowed down sounds along with producing fast and swirly music.
This third version of Grand Orbiter V2 is a high-quality analog phaser pedal known for its versatility. It has four knobs to control the resonance, depth, rate, and sweep settings of the pedal.
Also, it has two other switches to change from phaser to vibrato mode and to provide some additional control to the rate-setting.
What We Like About EarthQuaker Devices Grand Orbiter V2
The most likable feature of Grand Orbiter V2 is its four dial controls. Out of these, the rate-setting controls the signal’s speed, while the depth controls its intensity. The sweep control sets in the intensity of the phase to bring out a more relaxed feel from an aggressive one.
And, the resonance control sets the signal’s quality in accordance with its overall resonance, producing a warm effect from a sharper tone. The Grand Orbiter V2 is built to produce distinct sounds from basic to vintage.
What We Don’t Like About EarthQuaker Devices Grand Orbiter V2
Grand Orbiter V2 comes at a high price, as it is a single pedal. Another limitation is its LFO, which affects the power of the rate control when the LFO is disabled.
- High quality analog phaser
- Four knobs
- Phaser and Vibrato mode
- Three rates modes
- Disabled LFO impacts power of rate control
MXR EVH90 stands out amongst its competitors as the best phaser pedal with excellent features and attractive graphics. This updated version manufactured by the famous Eddie Van Halen and Dunlop produces great spacey swirls and hypnotic warbles.
Despite its high price, this ‘two-in-one’ phaser pedal is worth it because of its exceptional phase effects.
You can also pick any other phaser pedal on the list according to your preference to get the right kind of phase effects.