Best Octave Pedal for 2021 [Our Reviews and comparison]
Music Authority may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Are you mesmerized by the bass tones in the tracks composed by your favorite musician? Is that probably why you’ve been playing those chartbusters on loop the whole day. Well, apart from the creative geniuses of these musicians, there’s a gadget playing a vital role in making these songs a treat to the ears – the Octave Pedal.
These devices have undoubtedly empowered guitarists, and amplified the output of humble 4-string instruments too, making them sound magnificent. The deluge of octave pedals speaks quite a lot about the amplifying popularity of these devices, and in a way, these pedals have got shopping portals abuzz.
However, the overwhelming number of octave pedals available could push even gadget maniacs to a state of ambiguity, leave alone the not too tech-savvy. As a result of painstaking research, this compilation includes several best octave pedals.
|1. Electro Harmonix Micro POG Guitar Effects Pedal
Buy on Amazon
|2. DigiTech Whammydtv-01 Pedal
Buy on Amazon
|3. MOOER Precise Octave Pedal
Buy on Amazon
|4. MXR M288 Bass Octave Deluxe
Buy on Amazon
|5. EarthQuaker Devices Tentacle Pedal
Buy on Amazon
Our Best Octave Pedal for 2020 Reviews and Comparisons
1. Electro Harmonix Micro POG Guitar Effects Pedal
- Polyphonic octave generator
- Make your 6 String guitar sound like a 12 String
- Super-fast tracking
- Dry, Sub Octave, and Octave Up Controls
Want to make your 6-string guitar sound like a 12-string beast? Well, then this Electro Harmonix wonder could possibly be your best find in accomplishing the feat. The Polyphonic Octave generator of this pedal can simply amplify your musical experience to a level that was hard to imagine a few years ago.
The pedal includes Dry, Sub Octave, as well as Octave Up controls, which contribute to the impressive sound output this Electro Harmonix device produces. The result is a degree of volume control that’s unparalleled and crystal-clear sound output.
Read Related Reading: Best Wah Pedal
What We Like About Electro Harmonix Micro POG Guitar Effects Pedal
Plugging the Electro Harmonix Micro POG Guitar Effects Pedal to your musical instruments can empower them immensely.
What We Don’t Like About Electro Harmonix Micro POG Guitar Effects Pedal
Although the product delivers every technical ability it claims, it is quite highly-priced.
- Dry, Sub Octave, and Octave Up controls help achieve a great volume control.
- Equipped with a Polyphonic Octave generator
- Quite highly-priced
2. DigiTech Whammydtv-01 Pedal
- True Polyphonic Pitch Shifting and Whammy effects in a single pedal
- Drop or Raised tuning by 7 half steps or an entire octave
- Momentary footswitch for Hammer-on and Pull-off effects
- True Bypass
- FS3X input for hands-free selection of Whammy and Drop Tune settings
When first introduced across stores, many gadget enthusiasts thought this fancy-looking octave pedal is more show than substance. However, the popularity of the Digitech Whammydtv-01 Micro POG Guitar Effects Pedal proved that it has a lot more to it.
The highlight of this product is that you can experience true polyphonic pitch shifting and whammy effects, an ability a lot of musicians are looking for.
Inclusive of an FS3X input, the DigiTech Whammydtv-01 Pedal enables a hands-free selection of Whammy and Drop-Tune settings. The pedal allows you to drop or raise tuning by 7 half steps. You can also tweak an entire octave by utilizing the DigiTech Whammydtv-01.
What We Like About DigiTech Whammydtv-01 Pedal
Accommodates a range of musical tricks you may want to try such as the drop tune, whammy bar effects, as well as guitar harmony. Unlike many yesteryear gadgets of its kind, the Whammydtv-01 offers a true bypass. It could be a great addition to your electronic gadget suite.
What We Don’t Like About DigiTech Whammydtv-01 Pedal
The DigiTech Whammydtv-01 Pedal is quite expensive, and a significant shipping cost could also be incurred in a bid to bring it to your doorstep.
- Offers true bypass
- Enables hands-free selection to modify whammy and drop tune to the desired level
- Quite expensive
3. MOOER Precise Octave Pedal
- Independent SUB, UPPER and DRY controls to really get the pedal dialed in
- 3 brand new algorithms instantly provide very different tones at the flip of a switch
- All analog dry through signal completely retains your original instrument in all its glory
- Micro Size and metal housing for the best in portability and road worthy construction
- True Bypass switching
A lot slimmer as compared to many octave pedals today, this MOOER invention has several technical features embedded within its small frame. These include independent SUB, UPPER, and DRY controls.
The makers have included 3 new, unique algorithms that help produce different tones effortlessly, all it takes is just the flip of a switch. The gadget has also been lauded for its true bypass switching ability.
What We Like About MOOER Precise Octave Pedal
Quite sleek in its design, economically-priced, and inclusive of several interesting features, the DigiTech Whammydtv-01 Pedal has lots to offer that makes it worth the money.
What We Don’t Like About MOOER Precise Octave Pedal
Isn’t the most powerful gadget around, and if you are in pursuit of a pedal that is holistic, you could probably skip considering the Whammydtv-01.
- Sleek, economical, and offers features that make it worth the money
- Less sophisticated compared to many Octave pedals
4. MXR M288 Bass Octave Deluxe
- Constant headroom technology (Cht) for exceptional headroom and tracking
- True bypass
- Organic analog tone
- Two independent octave voices
- Mid+ switch adds a Midrange boost at user selected frequency
There’s a dearth of bass octave pedals generally, and the MXR M288 Bass Octave Deluxe aptly fills the void with its astounding abilities. The pedal achieves true bypass and is capable of producing two independent octave pedals.
The highlight of this gadget is the adoption of Constant headroom technology (Cht) by the manufacturers, and its exceptional tracking.
Includes a Mid+ switch that adds a significant midrange boost to a frequency selected by the user. In addition, the octave pedal also produces an organic analog tone too that contributes to an excellent music output.
What We Like About MXR M288 Bass Octave Deluxe
Most Octave pedals struggle with tracking low bass tones, and this is exactly where the MXR M288 Bass Octave Deluxe triumphs.
What We Don’t Like About MXR M288 Bass Octave Deluxe
A few customers have complained about grounding issues arising a few months after the purchase, which means the MXR M288’s quality might deteriorate. However, this behavior of the octave pedal has been found to be inconsistent.
- Excellent in tracking low bass tones
- User-selected frequencies can be amplified by midrange boosts
- Quality degrades after a few months
5. EarthQuaker Devices Tentacle Pedal
- A classic analog octave up effect that features the very same octave from the beloved Hoof Reaper pedal but in a stand-alone unit
- Adds an excellent, swelling octave up to anything your heart desires
- Pair it with your favorite fuzz, put it in front of another octave up, or throw it in the effects loop of a delay and marvel at what happens
- It has no complicated controls; just hit the switch and go for it
- The octave up effect will become much more pronounced when using your neck pickup and playing above the 12th fret
If you want to augment your musical creation with an octave, the EarthQuaker Tentacle Pedal is one of the best devices to own. Pairing it with your favorite fuzz, or aligning it with another octave up will help one realize the magic the pedal is capable of creating.
The fact about this product that took us by surprise was its organic manufacture. The EarthQuaker Devices Tentacle Pedal is manufactured by human hands in Ohio.
The most noteworthy feature of this pedal is its octave up that can enhance the quality of your tones to a whole new level.
What We Like About EarthQuaker Devices Tentacle Pedal
The most important fact about the EarthQuaker Devices Tentacle Pedal is that it is a simple gadget with almost no complicated controls. All you need to do is just turn the switch on and you are good to go.
What We Don’t Like About EarthQuaker Devices Tentacle Pedal
As far as technical abilities are concerned, the EarthQuaker Devices Tentacle Pedal isn’t as technically sophisticated as several octave pedals available today. However, these little shortcomings can be overlooked.
- No complicated controls, simple to operate
- A powerful Octave Up steers this gadget ahead of many other octave pedals
- Technical abilities lesser than many contemporary octave pedals
We hope this compilation of the best octave pedals proved to be useful for each of you. As per our research, the Electro Harmonix Micro POG Guitar Effects Pedal is one of the best gadgets to own.
Even if you own a humble guitar that’s not the best of its kind, this octave pedal can amplify its output incredibly to make the audio output sound incredible to the ears. The gadget is a bit expensive, but the price aspect can be overlooked if unmatched sound quality is what you are striving to achieve.
However, since many manufacturers are flooding stores with their own octave pedals, it’s better you consider glancing through the configurations of a few more before buying one.
More to read: