Best Modeling Amp for 2023 [Our Reviews and Comparisons]
Music Authority may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Are you looking for the best modeling amp to amplify your skillful strumming?
We’ve done the hard work on your behalf. Having gone through multiple user reviews and feedback, we’ve shortlisted the top 5 best modeling amps that belong to reputed brands. Apart from this, they’re also durable, loud and come packed with multiple effects.
So sit back and read our analysis to find an ideal modeling amp for you.
|1. Fender Mustang GT-40
Buy on Amazon
|2. Yamaha THR10X
Buy on Amazon
|3. VOX Valvetronix VT20X
Buy on Amazon
|4. Orange Amps (Crush12)
Buy on Amazon
|5. Line 6 Spider V
Buy on Amazon
Our Best Modeling Amp for 2020 Reviews and Comparisons
1. Fender Mustang GT-40
- New and improved amp Modeling Technology
- Wi-Fi equipped for easy updates, preset exchanges, and connectivity to the Fender tone app
- Bluetooth streaming and control available from your mobile device
- Crisp, full color display screen
- 2-Year Warranty included
The Fender Mustang GT-40 Combo Amplifier adds built-in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth capability and a host of brand new effects to make it one of the best modeling amplifiers for the modern musician. This amp allows you to update the Mustang GT series whenever you like, with new sounds and presets created by Fender artists.
It’s the 21 classic amplifier models and 47 high-quality effects built into the Fender Mustang GT-40 Combo Amplifier that will really attract guitarists to this amp.
See Related Article: Best Car Amplifiers of 2020
In terms of effects, you can use the full-color LCD display to program your pedal settings and even change the order you have your effects in, opening up a world of sonic creativity. You can even use the optional footswitch to trigger effects and change amps on the fly.
The Fender Mustang GT-40 Combo Amplifier pumps out 40 watts of power using two high fidelity 6.5” speakers – more than enough to gig or practice with. However, should you want more power, the mustang GT series also comes in a 100-watt and 200-watt version.
What We Like About Fender Mustang GT-40
Besides everything the previous model had to offer, the processes of the pathway signal have been refined, and you are now free to move effects anywhere in the signal chain. This truly promotes musical creativity and abides by its tag-line: “limited only by your imagination.”
In line with modern Fender’s current direction, a tone app that gives users access to downloads and a database of stored presets created and saved by other artists has been included.
What We Don’t Like About Fender Mustang GT-40
The only drawback that it has is that its setup can be a little problematic.
- 47 high-quality effects
- Two high fidelity 6.5” speakers
- Move effects anywhere in the signal chain
- Difficult to set up
2. Yamaha THR10X
- Five high-gain amp models, plus bass, acoustic, and instrument modes.
- Can run on AC power or batteries.
- Effects processing driven by Yamaha's signature VCM technology
- Includes Cubase AI recording software
- Input Standard Mono Phone, Standard Stereo Phone, AUX IN (Stereo Mini), USB, 8cm Full Range x 2 speaker
Yamaha’s THR10X is not to be judged by its small frame, because this 10W combo amplifier with 3.15″ stereo speakers is more than capable of handling high gain tones.
It comes with 5 different metal flavors from classic to modern metal. The Yamaha’s THR10X stands out easily from other amps with its desktop-friendly profile, making it ideal for practice and recording (via its USB output).
Besides the high-gain amp models, the THR10X also features a bass amp model for plugging into your electric bass, an acoustic guitar amp model for acoustic-electric guitars, and even a flat-response amp model for plugging into other gears.
What We Like About Yamaha THR10X
There are also essential modulation and reverb/delay effects, along with 3-band EQ for tone shaping. The Yamaha THR10X amp runs on batteries and is highly portable. The Yamaha THR10X Valve Modeling Guitar Amplifier Combo is ideal for you if you want a high-quality desktop practice amplifier with dynamic, intense distortion and superb response.
What We Don’t Like About Yamaha THR10X
The only flaw of this amp is that there is no line-out for PA/mixing desk connection.
- Ideal for practice and recording
- 3-band EQ for tone shaping
- Highly portable
- No line-out for PA/mixing desk connection
3. VOX Valvetronix VT20X
- |20 Watt Modeling Amplifier| The VT20X is rated at 20 Watts making it the ideal choice for an at-home amplifier, combining sophisticated modeling technology with a multi-stage tube pre-amp circuit
- |12AX7 Preamp Tube| Multi-stage Valvetronix tube preamp design incorporates authentic analog circuitry to achieve the subtle tonal adjustments and capture the nuances that are distinctive of vacuum tube amps
- |Ultimate Versatility| 11 realistic amp models and 13 high quality on-board effects allow you to craft your signature tone, and save it across 33 preset programs
- |AUX In & Headphone Out| Aux in jack and headphone output make silently practicing or recording simple. Use the USB connection to dive deeper into preset settings using the VOX Tone Room software
- |Small But Loud| The compact combo amplifier is designed with a tightly sealed cabinet and a proprietary bass-reflex design to deliver stunning resonance and huge sound
The most distinguishing feature of this device is its VET (Virtual Element Technology) which models the classic amp circuits which create a natural tone.
In the preamp section, VT20X has a 12AX7 tube which is surprising to most users. It has a single 8″ speaker with 20 watts of power, making this amp suitable for practice at home or for small gigs.
It also offers Amp Class and Bias shift, further enhancing the options for toning control. This amp has 11 models, 13 effects including noise reduction, 8 user programs (2 banks with 4 channels) and 33 programs built in.
Made with a tightly sealed cabinet, this amp enhances responses to better reproduction of classic tube modelling tones. The VOX Valvetronix valve modeling guitar amp features an analog circuitry preamp design including a vacuum tube capturing unmistakable subtleties similar to vacuum amplifiers.
What We Like About VOX Valvetronix VT20X
The VOX valve modeling guitar amp has been skillfully calibrated to improve on its circuitry. It provides a good range of amp models offering lots of options for electric guitar players. Besides, it boasts unique tones of distortion, and a bass-reflex property.
What We Don’t Like About VOX Valvetronix VT20X
Some users complained that the amp becomes noisy while using the effects.
- VET (Virtual Element Technology) to create a natural tone
- Amp Class and Bias shift for toning control
- Unique tones of distortion along with a bass-reflex property
- Makes a humming noise while using the effects
4. Orange Amps (Crush12)
- 12 watt
- 6 inches speaker
- Dual gain controls
- 3 band EQ
- Master volume
Enclosed in basket weave vinyl and a woven speaker grille cloth, this amplifier will withstand years of abuse. Orange offers this amp with the same grille-cloth in their classic 1968 Orange vinyl or black.
The cabinet material is high on quality as you would expect from a company like Orange. The panel features a mono input, 1/4′′ headphone/line output, volume control knobs, gain, overdrive, and 3-band EQ. Controls are situated at the top of the amp and feature a three-band EQ section, a volume knob, an overdrive knob, and a gain knob.
The Crush 12 uses the World Speaker’s single 6′′ Orange-designed Voice, and the CabSIM circuit on their headphone/line out jack.
What We Like About Orange Amps (Crush12)
This amp is designed to strike a balance between modern lows and vintage highs, even when you have a string of distortion pedals driving the amp. The speaker strives to maintain clarity and emulates all the power and tone of an Orange 4 mic’d cabinet loaded with a Voice of the World speakers, without the bulk. This feature makes it easy to plug right into your mixer, and it fits perfectly in your home studio with its classic Orange sound.
What We Don’t Like About Orange Amps (Crush12)
Due to the lack of an onboard reverb, the built-in overdrive pre-reverb is only possible using the line out.
- Durable amp
- Balance between modern lows and vintage highs
- Ideal for practicing at home
- Lack of an onboard reverb
5. Line 6 Spider V
- NOW AVAILABLE AS THE SPIDER V MKII
- Fast and easy tone shaping with intuitive controls
- Built-in tuner, metronome, and drum loops provide a complete practice toolset
- 128 crafted presets include iconic rigs & classic artist tones
- Wireless-ready for Line 6 Relay transmitters (select models only)*
From beginners to professional gigging musicians in need of a wide variety of sounds, most users have found Line 6 Spider highly reliable. Also, it is a much lighter option than dragging a valve amplifier with them across the country.
The Line 6 Spider V, as a 120-watt version, follows on from the huge success of the popular Spider IV range and adds a variety of new sounds, enhancements, and upgraded effects. You have 200 newly refined amplifier and FX models, all of which can be easily accessed through the front panel controls.
What We Like About Line 6 Spider V
With 120 watts of power pumping out through a 12″ custom speaker and high-frequency tweeter, you’ve got plenty of volume for live gigs, rehearsals and any studio work you could do. Features for this amplifier include exceptional models with classic tones, effects such as reverbs, delays and mods, fully adjustable settings and overall, an easy to use the device.
What We Don’t Like About Line 6 Spider V
There is no XLR input for a microphone.
- Highly versatile
- Easy to use
- Suitable for beginners and professionals
- Lacks XLR input for a microphone
We feel Fender Mustang GT-40 is the best modeling amp on this list. With Wi-Fi and Bluetooth capabilities, this amp can be updated as and when you like giving you complete control over it.
Along with this, there are 47 high-quality effects that can be moved anywhere in the signal chain, thus giving perfect room to your creativity.
We have also mentioned multiple options if there are other factors that you’re looking for in a modeling amp. So invest in an ideal amp and breathe life into your music.
The Newly Launched Acekool Stand Mixers 2021 in the U.S. Acekool Stand Mixer
The Newly Launched Acekool Air Purifier 2021 in the U.S. Acekool Air Purifier D01
Best Hand Blenders in the U.S.That You Must Check Out 2021 Acekool Hand Blender BH1
Best Toasters in the U.S. That Are Worth Buying Acekool Toaster TA1