Best Guitar Amps Under 300 for 2021 (Reviews and Comparisons 2021)
Music Authority may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
If you’re a pro-guitarist or an amateur player, then you’ll surely understand the functionality of the accessories of a guitar. Be it the pedalboard or the guitar amplifier, these always have room along with the guitar. And this is pretty much understood by guitarists of all levels. what we need is the best guitar amps.
Well, just like the pedalboard, the amplifiers are vital for a good pickup and have an impressive impact on the sounds produced, transforming it into something unique. Even though guitar amps are available in a higher price range of up to $1000, amplifiers under $300 also offer great power, enough for big stage performances. The guitar amplifiers of up to $300 showcase an increase in the power that ultimately enhances the performance.
Such amps not only offer power enough for bigger gigs or live performance but also amazing sound effects that bring out the guitar tunes exceptionally well. Also, these amplifiers are durable enough to last for a long time.
Above all, buying a guitar amp is a big task, as there are so many aspects to consider like the quality, type, configuration, power, effects, and even price. And if the price is a constraint for you, then we are here to recommend some excellent quality guitar amps under $300.
After conducting intensive research, we shortlisted the 5 best guitar amps under 300 dollars to help you make the right choice as per your requirements.
|1. Orange Crush35RT Amps
[amazon fields=”B01LTI0IX0″ value=”thumb”]
[amazon fields=”B01LTI0IX0″ value=”button”]
|2. Fender Mustang GT 40 Guitar Amplifier
[amazon fields=”B06Y27KJC5″ value=”thumb”]
[amazon fields=”B06Y27KJC5″ value=”button”]
|3. Peavey Vypyr VIP 3 Guitar Amp
[amazon fields=”B00B5OY8BW” value=”thumb”]
[amazon fields=”B00B5OY8BW” value=”button”]
|4. Yamaha THR10 Guitar Amplifier
[amazon fields=”B006QLW5XC” value=”thumb”]
[amazon fields=”B006QLW5XC” value=”button”]
|5. La Patrie Guitar, Collection QI
[amazon fields=”B000W22JG4″ value=”thumb”]
[amazon fields=”B000W22JG4″ value=”button”]
Our Best Guitar Amps Under 300 dollars – Reviews and Comparisons
1. Orange Crush35RT Amps
[amazon fields=”B01LTI0IX0″ value=”button”]
If you want heavy punching tones, then the right guitar amp is Orange Crush35RT. This excellent guitar combo amplifier can satisfy the demand for highly-responsive overdrive and outstanding levels of detailed saturation. It features two foot-switchable channels and an innovative CabSim circuit alongside other elements, which makes it a killer guitar combo amplifier under $300. Using this amplifier, you’ll surely get a completely-buffered low-impedance effects loop.
- Orange Crush35RT is capable of producing wide-ranging tones via its 2 foot-switchable channels. This clearly reminds you of the old school rock and roll like tunes, as the tones produced sounds quite similar to it.
- Along with the 2 foot-switchable channels, this amplifier has no modeling features. So, there is no possibility of any complications when in use.
- The 4-stage analog preamp circuit ensures this guitar amp can give consistent yet familiar tones. These in-built elements highlight its impeccable tonal quality, suitable for larger gigs.
- On the other hand, Orange Crush35RT would make the perfect choice of guitar amps under $300, if you prefer a simple yet aesthetic model. On comparing this feature with other amps, Orange Crush35RT’s simplicity stands out among all.
- Apart from all these, this killer guitar combo amp has 35-watt power and also includes a 1 x 10″ combo configuration. With this power and configuration, this amp performs quite well enough, which allows you to jam without much hassle.
- Some of its extra features are a footswitch input and an FX Loop. Along with this, it has a headphone output that follows four 12″ cabinets, an aux-in, and a built-in tuner. These aspects of the amp proved to be quite useful especially when you’re practicing seriously.
- Lastly, the controls of this exceptional guitar amp include clean, dirty, reverb, gain, and a 3-band EQ.
With this wide spectrum of features, Orange Crush35RT is one of the top-picks that is totally worth the price.
What We Like About the Orange Crush35RT Amps
Orange Crush35RT is built with a set of amazing features but what’s stands out is its sound quality. Its sound quality perfectly suits musical genres like blues, rock, and similar styles, as it has a clean channel that supports these tunes and effects. Further, it is because of the sound quality of Orange Crush35RT that tops the list of positive responses. Moreover, many guitarists prefer this amp solely because of its sound quality, as it produces a mix of classic and modern guitar tones.
Besides, Orange Crush 35RT has a built-in digital spring reverb and chromatic tuner, which ensures that the guitar is always set in an ideal pitch. On the whole, this guitar amp is undoubtedly a consumer favorable model that also fits in the budget quite well.
What We Don’t Like About the Orange Crush35RT Amps
Despite some of the exceptional features, this guitar combo amp has a few pitfalls as well. One of the major drawbacks was the too high bass emphasis. Some users have pointed out this and recommended to improve this by lowering the bass EQ knob slightly. Lowering the EQ knob will definitely make a difference in the heavy bass sounds.
Apart from this, there are some guitarists, who observed that this amp is difficult to play at lower volumes but sounds best when used to jam with a full band.
| 2 foot-switchable channels
Classic and modern guitar tones
Excellent sound quality
Built-in digital spring reverb and chromatic tuner
35-watt power and 1 x 10″ combo configuration
| Too high bass
Doesn’t sound good at lower volumes
[amazon fields=”B06Y27KJC5″ value=”button”]
Crafted using seven decades of experience in making inspirational tools, Fender Mustang GT 40 is built with a newer and better amp with different effect models. Also, it is crafted in a way that makes it easy to use and control without wasting any power. It is a studio worth amp, which can be controlled via Bluetooth and the Fender Tone app. Moreover, it is perfectly suitable for guitarists of every genre and every level. Above all, Fender Mustang GT 40 has numerous tonal combinations for a limitless performance.
- Fender Mustang GT 40 comes with 21 classic amp voices capable enough for producing authentic tones similar to some of the most illustrious guitar amplifiers.
- It has over 45 different effects so it can create a range of tones, from classic ones to a completely new one.
- Plus, its loud and clear sound makes it suitable for performing anywhere, from a bedroom to a large open space.
- The tonal techs of Fender have developed new algorithms that offer high fidelity along with a realistic response through this amp.
- This model offers a lot of flexibility and space for creative exploration by just moving and adjusting the sound effects.
- This guitar amp also has a color LCD screen that helps in programming sounds in the studio to deliver a realistic experience.
- Mustang GT 40 is a Wi-Fi-equipped, Bluetooth and USB enabled amp. Being the first Wi-Fi-equipped guitar amp, it becomes easy to download the latest updates and also get access to the Fender artist-created presets.
- Besides, it allows you to connect with a community of creative guitar players and several other music creators.
- With the enabled Bluetooth technology, you can stream music audio from your smartphones or other audio gadgets directly to this amp.
- You can also use the Fender Tone app to control the amp tones and effect models with just a swipe of a finger.
- Apart from these, the Fender Mustang GT40 implies USB technology to connect with the computer. With this feature, you can send digital audio directly from the amp to your audio workstation.
- Further, it has an added speaker simulation to ensure excellent sound from the amp.
- Overall, the amp is capable of shaping the amp sounds quite easily and also allows you to capture performances, take note of first self-created music and track riffs as well.
- As a guitarist, if you’re into amp modeling, then Fender Mustang GT 40 is the ideal solution for you.
- With its amp voices and effects, this guitar amp under $300 is perfectly suitable for musical genres such as rock, metal, and blues.
With great sounds and incredible creative power, this guitar amp makes an ideal choice for those who want an affordable yet superior quality model, which can complement the guitar perfectly.
What We Like About the Fender Mustang GT 40
As we scrutinized the different features and elements of the Fender Mustang GT 40, we came across some outstanding traits of it. Apart from being the world’s first Wi-Fi enabled guitar amp, the Mustang GT40 model has some extraordinary traits.
One such feature is the artist presets, which can be set and used via the Fender Tone App. You can also develop the custom artist presets, browse this collection, and even share with other Mustang GT series users. This will also help you expand your musical knowledge and boost up your creativity.
Besides, this Mustang GT series offers you a smart way to control the amp – Fender Tone App. Unlike other guitar amps under $300, this one ensures it is easy and convenient to use, with just one finger control. With this app, you can connect to Fender’s Digital ecosystem, which helps in learning In case you’re an amateur guitarist. Plus, you can upgrade the capabilities of the amp such as the addition of more power and inclusion of presets without attaching any cable; all these without any much hassle.
Lastly, it has an optional MGT-4 4-button footswitch, which is for hands-free preset/FX switching along with looper control. Altogether, these make the Mustang series’ GT40 model a powerhouse performer compared to all other guitar amps.
What We Don’t Like About the Fender Mustang GT 40
On the downside, this amp has a few limitations, which require improvement for more efficient performance. To be precise, the control dial of the amp functions decently but when used for more intense tasks such as setting up the custom presets or entering the Wi-Fi password, it becomes fiddly. This can be a little long process, as you have to scroll down to select individual alphabets and numbers.
Besides, the purists often complained of the volume, which is not enough for practice sessions or gigs with drummers. Plus, some tones might sound harsh because of the volume. Lastly, its direct amp interface is also quite fiddly, which can be a deal-breaker for some users.
| Wi-Fi equipped, Bluetooth and USB enabled amp
21 classic amp voices and 45 different effects
Control via Fender Tone App
Features artist presets
| Fiddly control dial and direct amp interface
[amazon fields=”B00B5OY8BW” value=”button”]
Engineered by Peavey Electronics, this model is the world’s first Variable Instrument Performance amp, which includes acoustic, bass, and electric guitar models. Vypyr VIP 3 Guitar Amp is a model that revolutionizes the modeling amp industry and it is built using proper technology to deliver exceptional performance.
Further, it uses a combination of 32-bit floating-point SHARC powerful processors and a patented Transtube analog circuitry. This combination enables the amp to create exceptionally good modeling amps with great sounds. Above all, it is a guitar amp with variable instrument input and models, which makes it an ultimate model.
- Peavey Vypyr VIP 3 Guitar Amp, the 100-watt model, has enough power for gigging with other instruments. However, its sounds can be toned down to suit home practice as well. Well, it would not be wrong to term this amp as one of the most powerful amps.
- It comes with a single 12” Custom Voiced Heavy Duty Speaker to deliver clear sound
- With its Variable Instrument Performance functionality, the amp can easily recognize the nature and strength of the guitar that is connected to it. So, whether you use an acoustic, bass, or electric guitar, this amplifier will produce tones according to the guitar. This is quite an outstanding trait of this amp as compared to the other amplifiers under $300.
- Besides, it comes with the PowerSponge variable power feature. This aspect decreases the wattage to almost 1 watt making it ideal for home practice whenever required.
- It also has a wide range of sonic possibilities that offers approximately 400 amp accessible presets 12 amp accessible stompbox models, 6 bass amp models, 10 instrument models, 6 onboard amp models.
- Along with these, it also offers 25 onboard effects and 6 acoustic amp models.
- Apart from these, this amplifier is built with an onboard looper, which is accessible through the optional Sanpera I or Sanpera II foot controllers.
- You can also find an enhanced chromatic tuner and a tap tempo function. All these aspects ensure that the amp is capable of delivering studio worthy performance and also perfect for regular home practicing.
- Even though the above-mentioned features are diverse, yet it has a minimalistic and multi-functional control. It is quite simple to understand and use. For instance, its 400 presets are distributed within the 4 banks, wherein C implies acoustic and D to the bass.
- And these presets are displayed on its LCD screen and this helps to simplify the process of tweaking.
- Besides, there are 3 encoders visible here, which are Stomp/Instrument, Effects, and Amplifiers and each of them can toggle between their functions.
- Lastly, this amp also has Pre-Gain, three-band EQ including low, mid, and high knobs, Post-Gain, and a master volume knob.
Altogether, with such features, this amp is simply amazing. Plus, it’s affordable and flexible with sonic capabilities decent enough to deliver surreal sound quality.
What We Like About the Peavey Vypyr VIP 3
As mentioned above, the Peavey Vypyr VIP 3 comes with great control features that can add strength to the sound and are in charge of different frequency ranges. Basically, each knob comes with a different function, which combines to ensure exceptional sound quality.
Another outstanding feature of this amp is its TransTube technology, which gives the tones a unique characteristic quality. Further, the instrument emulations enable you to tailor this amplifier with the guitar alongside creating detailed tones using the options like Resonator, Baritone, or Electric Violin. Apart from this, the amp is built with effects but the best part of this is the smoothness and saturated output of the reverb, while the delay sounds effects are also equally great.
One of the features that caught the attention of several users is the Vypyr Edit software. With this software, you can edit the presets by just adjusting the knobs of this amp. And often many professional guitarists, who have used this amp, tend to prefer this software because it makes it a lot easier to set up and control the presets.
What We Don’t Like About the Peavey Vypyr VIP 3
Despite so many positive features and reviews, this amp has certain downsides as well. And of all, it’s the power of the amp. Even though this 100-watt amp is capable of going down to 10-20 watt when practicing in a bedroom or a closed room, yet this feature doesn’t function as stated. The power cannot directly translate to the volume, so the tone doesn’t come out as expected. This, in turn, affects the overall sound quality.
Further, this amp does have any on-board effects and it might not be versatile enough for some guitarists. So, there are chances that it can affect the performance when connected to the amp.
| Variable Instrument Performance amp
Includes 12” Custom Voiced Heavy Duty Speaker
Comes with PowerSponge variable
Offers 25 onboard effects and 6 acoustic amp, models
| Power doesn’t directly translate to volume
Lacks onboard effects
[amazon fields=”B006QLW5XC” value=”button”]
Developed by the leading name in the musical instruments industry Yamaha, THR10 Guitar Amplifier is a new take on the classic tone. It produces great sounds in a wide range of musical genres, whether you play the guitar delicately or roughly. It is engineered in such an optimized way that it is perfectly suitable for a home studio. This 10-watt tube amp has a compact body and it is based on Yamaha’s Virtual Circuit Modeling, which brings 5 different amp simulations at your disposal.
- Yamaha THR10 Guitar Amplifier has a sleek appearance similar to the retro look of a 1960’s Japanese radio, which has a glossy sand-hued paint with a distinctive cutout chevron-pattern grille.
- This digital tube guitar amp is built using Yamaha’s Virtual Circuit Modeling, a technology to make 5 different amp simulations. These simulations include a 5-guitar amp model, bass model, acoustic model, and a regular flat setting to use it with any stereo music player or iPod.
- The 5 guitar amp models include Clean, Crunch, Lead, Brit Hi, and Modern.
- In terms of performance, this amp is capable of producing loud and punchy sounds at an impressive volume even though it’s a small-sized amplifier.
- This amp allows you to save amp, EQ, and effect settings as per your choice in the five memory locations.
- Plus, you can also modify different parameters using the THR Editor software and a PC. You can even modify noise gate and compressor effects that are accessible via the THR editor only.
- On the whole, this amp is a perfect model when you’re not playing in a live gig and for those pro-guitarists who want great sound and performance during off-stage practice also.
Thus, this guitar amp under $300 is definitely worth the purchase considering it is exceptionally built and quality.
What We Like About the Yamaha THR10
The best aspect of this digital tube amp THR10 is Virtual Circuit Modeling technology, which is already mentioned above. Well, this technology along with the 5 simulations also offers a lot more benefits. This technology offers you an incredible collection of effects, including chorus, tremolo, flanger, delay, delay/reverb, compressor, phaser, spring reverb, hall reverb, and noise gate. With these effects, you can easily pull off any musical genre or style, and also create your own tunes.
We also liked the controls of this amp, which are readable and all settings are logically arranged for the convenience of the users. Further, it includes numerous knobs despite its compact size. Lastly, it is ideal for recording purposes as well, because it is bundled with Cubase and plenty of amp simulations and effects. The Cubase and amp effects fulfill all the requirements of the recording, making it a perfect accessory for a home studio.
What We Don’t Like About the Yamaha THR10
The major limitation of Yamaha THR10 is its black plastic casing, which isn’t sturdy. Also, there isn’t any speaker output included with this guitar amp.
| Built with Virtual Circuit Modeling technology
10-watt tube amp
5 different amp simulations
bundled with Cubase
| The black plastic casing isn’t sturdy
No speaker output
[amazon fields=”B000W22JG4″ value=”button”]
All guitarists want the best amp in the market but not all can purchase it, given some amps are really expensive. Priced at under $300, Cube Street is a sturdy but portable amp model, which has all the required attributes. Roland CUBE-ST is made for musicians who like to listen to music on the go. Whether you are an amateur musician or a pro, on a rehearsal or performing a gig, or anywhere portability is required.
It is battery powered and can be easily moved around, even while you’re doing your daily routine exercises. The dual digital power amps and its efficient pair of neodymium speakers give you a stunning experience. Let’s check out some of those features.
- The Roland CUBE-ST Street Stereo Amplifier is available at a very affordable price while boasting some amazing features. It is portable, which means it can be easily carried along with you wherever you, whatever you do.
- Roland has its own COSM technology, which helps in all the digital processing. From tube-driven blues classics to modern metal stacks, it catches every movement of the original amp- right from the preamp and circuits to the speaker.
- The range of effects won’t satisfy the biggest experimenter, but there’s certainly enough for good sound-shaping on the go, while the stereo sound is noticeable (especially with a little chorus).
- Playing for a long time is also not an issue as the guitar section is packed with basic EQ, 6 built-in effects, and 8 amp models, all easily accessible.
- It runs on 6 AA batteries which allows you almost 15 hours of continuous use, best suited for street performers.
- It consumes the energy of only 5W, making it one of the most efficient amps available in the market.
- It also has two built-in stereo speakers, which is capable of high sound output. It may not be the loudest amp available to fill a larger area but if you want to train at home or perform in the streets, you can go for it. Aided by its wedge type profile, you can listen to the amp at better angles.
- The Roland CUBE Street has an in-built chromatic tuner and 2 digital effects processors.
- With the help of its dual-channel architecture and XLR/1/4” microphone input, you can sing and play effortlessly through one amplifier.
- The control panel on Cube Street is strong, responsive, well-segregated, and easy to use.
What We Like About the Roland CUBE-ST
The Roland CUBE-ST is appreciated by so many due to its affordable price and its product quality. It offers you both in a market where price and quality is the utmost priority. Allowing you to virtually carry it anywhere, gives it a big advantage over its competitors. Plus its overall build and its built-in technologies have impressed a lot. So, if you are planning to buy an affordable and quality amp, then you should check out Roland CUBE Street.
What We Don’t Like About the Roland CUBE-ST
Given its size, some might feel a few restrictions like its lack of bottom end. Also, there isn’t a line out jack, which is also a matter of concern for some.
| Compact and lightweight
Portable and Versatile
Value for money
Runs on batteries
Well build body
|Lack of bottom end
No line-out jack
After extensive trial and testing, we recommend the Orange Crush35RT as it is the best guitar amp under $300 according to us. This killer guitar combo amplifier produces wide-ranging tones through its 2-foot switchable channels. Despite its too high bass and lack of proper lower volumes, this amp is capable of producing a mix of classic and modern guitar tones. Plus, its in-built elements are responsible for its impeccable tonal quality, which will remind you of old school rock and roll tunes. This makes Orange Crush35RT the ideal pick for pro-guitarists, who have a serious practice regime or performs for live gigs.
The market is flooded with various types of guitar amplifiers from different brands. There are many specifications and features that you must consider before you make the purchase. The right guitar amp will let you win your audience’s hearts by magnifying your musical melody. We hope the following buying guide provides you with the necessary information that you need to select the best guitar amp.
Amplifier Modeling & Effects:
The amp modeling replicates the sound of several different amplifiers through DSP (Digital Sound Processing) by adding sonic flexibility. Naturally, expensive guitar amps have better amp modeling quality than the low cost and affordable ones. Still, the latter ones are good enough in terms of practical use.
Also, there are some guitar amps, which carry digital effects with them. We know it is not realistic to compare the quality of such effects to the high priced stomp-boxes. However, these digital effects can offer the basic sonic variety necessary for several music styles.
Tube vs Solid State/Digital:
In general, tube amps are considered to offer better sound despite being not much durable as well as expensively priced. So, it is essential to set a high budget if you want to go for a good tube amplifier. The best ones that are available on the market are mainly limited to compact models with low power ratings.
On the other hand, in terms of tone, digital and solid-state amps are regarded as inferior to tube amps. Despite that, the solid-state and digital amps are a practical choice because of their reliability and affordability. Also, you can go for guitar amplifiers that have the flexibility of digital sound processing and warmth of tubes combined.
The power rating of a guitar amp determines how loud it is. Generally, guitar amps with high power ratings are quite costly. So, most of the guitar amps under $300 are not big and loud. Despite that, compact and low power guitar amps are still favored since they are perfect for practicing and also for small venue gigs. The same goes for tube amps as lower power allows you to get going even at lower volumes.
However, these amps won’t provide you with full sound if you’re performing on stage. Also, there are several guitar amps featuring power attenuation or power reduction, in line with power rating. You can opt for cutting the power rating back of these amps for getting cranked tones even at lower volumes.
Size of Speakers:
The speaker size of a guitar amp influences sounds clarity and projection, which are restricted by the power of the amplifier along with the size of the cabinet. Guitar amps with smaller speakers have highlighted mids that are preferred by lots of guitarists. On the contrary, guitarists who require extra bass emphasis tend to prefer bigger speakers.
The connectivity of a guitar amp is of secondary importance. However, extra input or output options enhance the overall functionality. For instance, the aux input of amps lets you play your guitar along with your favorite song. This headphone output allows you to play quietly.
Similarly, the speaker output helps you use the amplifier with other guitar speaker cabinets. Also, the DI output allows you to connect directly to PA or a recording console. In most of the contemporary guitar amps, you will find USB connectivity for software control and direct computer recording.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Which is the best guitar amp for under $300?
As per our research, the Orange Crush35RT is the best guitar amp under $300 available on the market. For many reasons, consider this guitar amp is superior to all. Firstly, it offers you heavy punching tones, high responsiveness, and outstanding levels of detailed saturation. Moreover, it produces consistent and familiar wide-ranging tones indicating its impeccable tonal quality that is necessary to play in front of a large audience.
Also, the Orange Crush35RT being a 35-watt power amp lets you jam without any complications. The built-in digital spring reverb and chromatic tuner of this amp always ensure that your guitar is set in the idea pitch. All these features make this guitar amp popular among most guitarists.
2. Why should you buy a $300 guitar amp?
For various reasons, purchasing a guitar amp for under $300 is a smart move. Amps in this price range are worth buying if your budget is allowing you to. For starters, the power increase in these amps is quite huge, in comparison to the ones at a lower cost. You might come across amps with a 100-watt power or even more within this range.
This feature makes it worthy enough for not only practicing rigs at your place but also stage performances. Moreover, if you’re aspiring to perform in front of a big crowd, with these amps you can save a lot of money in the long term.
Apart from power, with this budget, you can opt for guitar amps with all-tube combos and heads. These amps offer an exceptional tone that is preferred by many guitarists. Also, you can get several different kinds of classic amp tones within a single unit, along with more variations in the built-in effects and EQ controls.
3. Which guitar amp should you prefer, tube or modeling amps?
This is very crucial as tube amps and modeling amps give out completely different tones. If you want a tone that is warm and organic with significant responsiveness, then you should opt for a tube amp. However, if you prefer versatility, and want to change your tones at the flick of a switch, without any pedals, then your answer is modeling amp.
The solid-state modeling amps do not have a natural character that the tube amps generally offer. Still, you can have plenty of fun with the fantastic potential for sound shaping present in the former one. Regardless, you must remember that modeling amps under $300 will be more capable of serving you on stage than their tube counterparts.
4. How much power is suitable for a guitar amp?
For a rock jam session, a 40-watt guitar amp driving a 10-inch speaker can be considered loud enough for solid-state technology. However, it might not be good enough if you’re playing in a band with loud drums. In the loudest situations, any guitar amp with a minimum of 60 watts along a 12-inch speaker should be fine.
Also, for a full rock band, a 30-watt class A tube amplifier should be loud enough in most cases. There is no doubt that to be heard, a bass amp has to be more powerful. Thus, a 60-watt solid-state bass combo should be sufficient for playing in a small space. However, in a large room, you may need a 200-watt guitar amp with two 12-inch or four 10-inch speakers.
With this curated list of the best guitar amps under $300, we hope you get some clarity on the available products. Make sure you choose the ideal amp as per your requirements.