Best Electric Ukuleles for 2022 [Our Reviews and Comparisons]
Music Authority may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Are you looking for an instrument that’s not too complicated to play but also gives a beautifully amplified sound? If yes, then an electric ukulele is exactly what you need!
Being lightweight with less number of strings compared to a guitar, electric ukuleles are easy to play and easier to carry around. So portability, ease of use and a melodious sound are some of the amazing features that electric ukuleles promise to deliver.
Since there are so many models in the market, it can become difficult to choose a ukulele that is apt for you. Don’t worry because we’ve spent hours trying and testing these instruments to bring you the 5 best electric ukuleles.
Related Article: Best Ukulele Brands for 2020
Read further to find out more.
|1. Cordoba 15CM-E
Buy on Amazon
|2. Kala KA-CE
Buy on Amazon
|3. Luna Tattoo Series
Buy on Amazon
|4. Oscar Schmidt OU2E
Buy on Amazon
|5. Cordoba 20TM-CE
Buy on Amazon
Our Best Electric Ukuleles Reviews and Comparisons
1. Cordoba 15CM-E
- WARM, RICH TONE: The Cordoba 15CB Bocote exudes a warm, rich tone with great unplugged projection that easily fills a small room — great for living room performances or warm evenings at the beach with friends.
- ONE-OF-A-KIND LOOK: Built with exotic Bocote woods from Central and South America for a unique look and sound. Dramatic dark browns, black striping, and gorgeous knotted eyes are the cherry on top to a tonal signature unlike any other.
- COMFORTABLE PLAYING: Features a comfortable C-shaped mahogany neck with composite wood fingerboard, great for learning on as well as for advanced chording or lead playing.
- ELEGANT SATIN FINISH: Gorgeous satin finish enhances the beauty of the Bocote and mahogany, allowing it to age and darken over time.
- PREMIUM APPOINTMENTS: An abalone rosette sound hole, a set of silver tuners with pearl buttons, and premium Italian Aquila strings are additional fine appointments that make the 15CB Bocote concert ukulele a great buy.
Cordoba 15CM-E looks just as good as it sounds with a mahogany top, bottom, and sides, plus a satin modern edge burst finish.
The pickup has discreet sound hole controls, ensuring your stage presence is somewhat enhanced, and your senses will definitely be attracted to the full, rich sound. An abalone-style rosette and pearl-buttoned silver tuners contribute to the classic look of the instrument.
The Cordoba 15CM-E ukulele includes Premium Aquila strings. The tuning pegs are well-made and the ukulele stays almost effortlessly in tune.
What We Like About Cordoba 15CM-E
Once the strings have been broken in, this inexpensive ukulele offers a performance that you can rely on. With good quality materials and finish, it looks good and sounds great.
What We Don’t Like About Cordoba 15CM-E
This ukulele has a flat back which means that its sound is not as rich as instruments with an arched back. Many users also had complaints regarding the tuning of this ukulele as the instrument kept going off-tune.
- Classic vintage look
- Aquila strings and good tuning pegs
- Problematic tuning
2. Kala KA-CE
- The Satin Mahogany line is Kala’s flagship collection and has become an industry standard.
- The traditional design is highlighted with a satin finish and cream binding
- Built and designed to stand the test of time || Bag not included (Sold Separately)
- SIZE : Concert | SIZE : Concert | TOP : Mahogany | BACK & SIDES : Mahogany | BINDING : Cream | FINISH : Satin
- NECK : Mahogany | FINGERBOARD : Walnut | NUT & SADDLE : GraphTech NuBone | HEADSTOCK : Standard | STRINGS : Aquila Super Nylgut | ELECTRONICS : UK-300TR
The mahogany body and neck of this ukulele are finished in a rich, reddish brown tone with a rosewood fingerboard and bridge for fun visual contrast. The satin finish feels great and shows off the natural beauty of the mahogany wood.
The strings are nylon with high quality and tone. It has really nice chrome, die-cast, sealed, geared tuners that remain in tune, even after a fine, hard triple strumming. The fretboard of rosewood plays great.
All controls are easily accessible to the volume, bass, and treble. The Kala KA-CE has a built-in tuner that makes playing very convenient.
What We Like About Kala KA-CE
The Kala KA-CE comes with a Shadow Active Nano-Flex EQ system that helps to fine-tune the sound without compromising the ukulele’s weight. Packed with so many features, we believe Kala KA-CE is the best electric ukulele on our list.
What We Don’t Like About Kala KA-CE
We think the only drawback that this instrument has is that it can’t be used with a strap and does not come with a gig bag or a padded case. So if you’re someone who travels with their ukulele a lot, this might not be an ideal ukulele for you.
- Made of aesthetic and quality mahogany wood
- Chrome die-cast tuners keeps the instrument in tune
- Shadow Active Nano-Flex EQ system to fine tune the sound
- Does not come with a gig bag or strap
3. Luna Tattoo Series
- This Tattoo Concert Uke takes its design from traditional Hawaiian body ornamentation
- The designs were monochromatic, tattooed in black against brown skin
- The patterns and layout were strongly geometric and there were many shapes and symbols representing the natural island world
- The fret markers are stylized sharks teeth
- Boasts a clear, resonate sound by virtue of its Concert body and Mahogany build, offering a beautiful sound at a tremendous value
This Luna Concert electric ukulele features a laser-etched pattern on the wood influenced by Polynesians. There’s also a cutaway that lets the player have a little bit more grip on the neck and give it a guitar-like feel.
The sound is more mellow and in its tone, very conventional. The tone is much more in line with many other laminate concert ukuleles out there.
This ukulele has an active pickup system that produces a solid, natural tone. The signal has a little more distortion than the Kala KA-CE, but it’s really only noticeable if the gain is cranked all the way up.
The control panel is slimmer than other similar models. This one is not equipped with an integrated tuner. Together with a volume scale, it does have the normal sliders for treble and bass. These give plenty of room for tone modulation, and you can easily go from jangly to bassy.
What We Like About Luna Tattoo Series
If you love the laser-engraved tattoo design and don’t mind paying a bit more, there’s no reason not to get this ukulele. Available at an incredibly affordable $100, depending on the supplier, this ukulele suits almost all budgets.
Luna have a very well balanced, sweet and mellow sounding ukulele that sounds awesome, plugged in or not, and looks absolutely superb.
What We Don’t Like About Luna Tattoo Series
Some flaws include fragile strings that are prone to break. Luckily, these can be easily changed. The ukulele is smaller compared to most concert ukuleles and the wood is quite thin.
- Laser-etched pattern gives a unique look
- Active pickup system for natural tone
- Fragile strings
4. Oscar Schmidt OU2E
The OU2E has a thin, comfortable neck with rosewood fingerboard and a body of mahogany. It’s easy to play and makes the novice player feel at ease. The satin finish gives the instrument an elegant and authentic look, allowing it to resonate.
When it comes to hardware, chrome tuners and Rosewood Bridge are included with this model. It also comes with a gig bag, an instructional DVD from Austin Bazaar, a clip-on tuner, and a polishing cloth. Overall, the kit is pretty decent and it helps you to save a bit of money and time.
The OU2E is a step up from the beginner ukuleles, which often sound small. The pickups do a pretty decent job of reproducing the uke’s sweet and mellow sound when it comes to an amplified audio.
What We Like About Oscar Schmidt OU2E
This model is fitted with UK2000 Active EQ Pickup system by Oscar Schmidt. While this is not a professional pick-up system, this unit is pretty intuitive and gives you power over the sound.
What We Don’t Like About Oscar Schmidt OU2E
If you’re looking for a professional electric ukulele, then this model is not ideal for you.
- Classic mahogany body gives a warm, rich tone
- UK2000 Active EQ Pickup system gives good pickup
- Good resonation
- Not for professionals
5. Cordoba 20TM-CE
The 20TM-CE is a tenor-sized ukulele with a sturdy mahogany top, back and sides. With its traditional Portuguese ornamentation and elegance, it is fully hand-made and exudes an exotic look.
The mahogany top, tenor-size 20TM-CE comes with a bottom cutaway that makes it look elegant. It lets you hit the last frets.
Surprisingly, this model is not an all-laminate style. For a long time, the Cordoba 20TM-CE maintains its transparency. And while many people might prefer an all-laminate one, we agree that this style makes it feel better on the fingertips.
What We Like About Cordoba 20TM-CE
It uses an in-house 2 band EQ Cordoba pick-up and has a magnificent sound range. The pickup included is of high quality and reliably handles all the vibrations.
What We Don’t Like About Cordoba 20TM-CE
Users had complaints regarding the tuners. Despite proper tuning, the instrument kept going out of tune.
- Mahogany body for richness and warmth in tone
- 2 band EQ Cordoba pick-up
- Good sound range
- Faulty tuners
The electric ukulele we recommend from our list is the Kala KA-CE. Its beautiful mahogany body, satin finish, quality tuners and Shadow Active Nano-Flex EQ system makes it a great buy for its price.
Feel free to choose from other options on our list if Kala KA-CE is not the one you want.
More to read: