Best Drum Kits for 2020 [Our Reviews and Comparisons]
Music Authority may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Drums are easily one of the coolest editions to the world of music and they have single-handedly turned several songs into popular, foot-tapping numbers. There are several factors to consider that arise while choosing a drum kit, especially if you are a beginner. These include price versus feature set being offered by the manufacturers, the right brand, as well as warranty.
The overwhelming number of instruments available online and across stores can put potential buyers into a state of dilemma, or rather create confusion regarding choosing the right drum kit.
Here’s a list of best drum kits compiled just for you. Hopefully, this should help you arrive at a better purchase decision.
Read Related Reading: 10 Best Drum Heads That Every Musician Really Adores
|1. Pearl RS525SCC706 Roadshow 5-Piece Drum Set
Buy on Amazon
|2. Ludwig Drum Shell Pack
Buy on Amazon
|3. PDP by DW Double Drive 8-Piece Drum Kit
Buy on Amazon
|4. MAPEX Mars Series Crossover
Buy on Amazon
|5. Gretsch New Renown Maple 4-Piece Drum set
Buy on Amazon
Our Best Drum Kits Reviews and Comparisons
1. Pearl RS525SCC706 Roadshow 5-Piece Drum Set
- 9 ply, 7mm Poplar Shells for optimum tonal power & 1.2mm Triple Flanged hoops
- Comes with Heads and Double Braced Hardware
- Hardware Included: Cymbal Stand, Hi-Hat Stand, Snare Stand, Bass Drum Pedal, Throne, 2 Tom Holders
- Drums Included: 22x16 Bass Drum, 1x8 Tom, 12x9 Tom, 16x16 Floor Tom, 14x5.5 Snare Drum
- Cymbals Included: 16" Brass Crash-Ride, 14" Hybrid Hi-Hats
The Pearl RS525SCC706 Roadshow is a gig-ready instrument that’s available in four different setups. It needs little assembly once out of the packaged box that arrives at your doorstep.
The key features of this product include 9 ply, 7 mm Poplar shells as well as 1.2 mm Triple Flanged hoops. As far as the drums are concerned, the makers have included a 22×16 Bass Drum, 1×8 Tom, 12×9 Tom, 16×16 Floor Tom, and a 14×5.5 Snare Drum. The hardware included in the package is a Cymbal stand, a Bass Drum Pedal as well as a throne.
What We Like About Pearl RS525SCC706 Roadshow 5-Piece Drum Set
Pearl is one of the world’s best musical instrument manufacturers today and is quite affordable too. Considering its impressive feature set and a package that’s inclusive of accessories such as stands, throne, and sticks, the RS525SCC706 Roadshow is totally a value-for-money product.
What We Don’t Like About Pearl RS525SCC706 Roadshow 5-Piece Drum Set
Like many drum kits, a shortcoming of this Pearl invention is its cymbals, which need to be replaced quite often. However, if this disadvantage is overlooked, the Pearl RS525SCC706 is a pretty impressive product for its price.
- Affordable, value-for-money
- Gig-ready, needs little assembly or tuning before an event
- Cymbals may require frequent replacement
2. Ludwig Drum Shell Pack
- Apartment-friendly and compact for the street musician
- Positioned on a riser for optimum reach, its compact 14x16" bass drum, 7x10" tom, and 13x13" floor tom creates a set-up for sculpting grooves in tight spaces
- The tonal center of Breakbeats is a 5x14" matching wood snare drum
- Fitted with Remo heads, Breakbeats' 7-ply hardwood shells play like a full-sized kit
- Shells are made of 7-ply hardwood, preferred by professionals for its tonal versatility
The Ludwig Drum Shell Pack is quite compact and occupies less space, making it ideal for compact homes and streets.
The Ludwig Drum Shell Pack comprises a compact 14×16-inch drum head, Remo heads, as well as 7-ply hardwood shells. In addition, the 7×10″ tom, and 13×13″ floor tom make the instrument ideal for really small spaces.
What We Like About Ludwig Drum Shell Pack
This Ludwig product is apartment-friendly if you are looking to jam within a compact space. In addition, the drum kit is also a street musician’s delight since it can be installed on pavement and won’t occupy a lot of space. Most importantly, the drum kit is relatively cheaper than many other instruments of its kind, considering Ludwig’s reputation as a drum manufacturer.
What We Don’t Like About Ludwig Drum Shell Pack
A few customers in the past have complained that the manufacturers didn’t offer snare stands and cymbal/hi-hat stands as a part of the package.
- Compact size
- Package includes a good number of accessories
- Several users have complained that the bass drum’s hoops aren’t in shape
3. PDP by DW Double Drive 8-Piece Drum Kit
- Dual-Turret Lug, True-Pitch Tension Rods and Die-Cast Claw Hooks
- Graduated Counter Hoops
- 7-ply Tom/Kick Shells and 10-ply Snare Shells
- MAG Throw-Off and Fully Chromed Snare Wires w/ Carbon Steel Coils and Brass End Plates
- Stands and Cymbals Not Included
Comprising 8 pieces, as its name suggests, the components of this PDP by DW invention are highly durable as compared to several other drum kits available today.
This gem of an invention includes two bass drums that measure 22×18-inches, 2 floor-toms as well as 3 toms that could be mounted. They also have Remo drum heads with edges chiseled at 45-degrees.
What We Like About PDP by DW Double Drive 8-Piece Drum Kit
It’s an 8-piece package, consisting of components which are highly durable. In recent times, the PDP by DW Double Drive 8-Piece has garnered praise from several users worldwide.
What We Don’t Like About PDP by DW Double Drive 8-Piece Drum Kit
The drum kit is a little overpriced as compared to several other similar instruments available today. Also, accessories such as stands and cymbals aren’t included as a part of the package.
- Package includes 8 pieces
- Highly durable
- Stands and cymbals not included in the package
4. MAPEX Mars Series Crossover
The goth-styled design of the MAPEX Mars Series Crossover makes it quite unique as compared to many other drum kits at the very first glance. Apart from several impressive features, this drum kit also has a one-of-its-kind suspension system that enhances resonance and helps deliver great sound quality.
The noteworthy features of the MAPEX Mars Series Crossover are its 15″ x 6.5″ snare drum, a mounted tom, two-floor toms, and a kick drum. A differentiating factor that sets this drum kit apart from several other products of its kind is the inclusion of a SONIClear bearing edge aimed at increasing contact between the drumhead and shell.
What We Like About MAPEX Mars Series Crossover
The MAPEX Mars Series Crossover is a beginner’s delight since it can be easily tuned and the activity may seem effortless. In fact, the drum kit is ideal for both learners and veteran professionals alike, which is a rarity among musical instruments.
What We Don’t Like About MAPEX Mars Series Crossover
The hoops on the snare drum aren’t top-notch, but this is a small shortcoming that can be overlooked.
- Impressive design
- Aligned with the expectations of learners and professionals alike
- The hoops embedded in the snare drums aren’t of impressive quality
5. Gretsch New Renown Maple 4-Piece Drum set
- Gretsch formula 7 ply Mahogany shells w/clear interior and 30 degree edges
- Matching bass drum hoops w/natural gloss interiors
- 12. 7 millimeters Tom arms and 10. 5 millimeters ft legs
- Mini GTS mounting system
- Remo drumheads
What makes this drum kit an absolute marvel is the incredible combination of different kinds of maple. A combination of great aesthetics and an impressive set of features, this drum kit could be a great instrument for all your professional gigs.
The drum kit is known for its 4-piece Euro shell pack which comprises a 10″ x 7″ tom, 12″ x 8″ tom, 16″ x 14″ floor tom, as well as 22″ x 18″ bass drum – Remo drumheads.
What We Like About Gretsch New Renown Maple 4-Piece Drum set
Each of the drums comprises 30-degree bearing edges which are primarily responsible for the exceptional sound quality of these drums. In addition, Gretsch’s shell/hoop combination is also responsible for the incredible sound quality.
What We Don’t Like About Gretsch New Renown Maple 4-Piece Drum set
Quite an expensive drum kit, in fact, the most costly musical instrument we’ve come across in our research so far. The price makes it more ideal for experienced professionals and isn’t really worth investment for beginners. However, if the price isn’t a concern at all, you could consider buying this product since it is totally worth the money.
- Impressive feature set
- Aesthetically-high design
- Quite expensive, more suited for professionals than beginners
We hope this compilation of the best drum kits proved to be really useful for each of you.
After extensive research of popular drum kits today, we feel that the MAPEX Mars Series Crossover is one of our best finds. Apart from some standard impressive features, the instrument also includes a SONIClear bearing edge that differentiates it from several other drum kits. Its design manages to create a lasting impression on the minds of enthusiasts looking for a new musical instrument.
However, we suggest you indulge in exclusive research yourself to find a drum kit best aligned with your needs.