Best Beginner Guitar for 2021 [Our Reviews and Comparisons]
Music Authority may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
As a beginner in the field of music, we know you’re looking for a guitar that’s not too complicated. To get the basics of learning a guitar right, you need an instrument that is lightweight and reliable at the same time.Other than this, the guitar should also be durable and budget-friendly for you. Keeping all these factors in mind, we’ve listed the top 5 best beginner guitar that will be the perfect companion to the budding musician in you.
Related Article: Best Guitar Brands of 2020
|1. Fender CD-60SCE
Buy on Amazon
|2. Epiphone DR-100
Buy on Amazon
|3. Yamaha FS800
Buy on Amazon
|4. Seagull S6
Buy on Amazon
|5. Donner 36” Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar Package
Buy on Amazon
Our Best Best Beginner Guitar Reviews and Comparisons
1. Fender CD-60SCE
The highlight of CD-60SCE is its dreadnought cutaway style, which makes it easy to use the lower frets by giving you access to more frets. Spruce wood has been incorporated in crafting the top of the guitar coupled with scalloped “x” bracing.
This accounts for better playability for beginners. It also ensures faster and perfect chord transition.
The guitar’s back and sides are made of high-quality mahogany wood, which is the best material that can perfectly process sound waves. The guitar’s neck is rolled with edges of the fingerboard which makes it easy to play.
It has a mother of pearl-style acrylic design around the soundhole. Fishman Isys III preamp system is installed on the guitar that amplifies the sound frequencies through the amp or any sound processor.
Fender CD-60SCE acoustic guitar comes with all the basic accessories required by a beginner guitar player including a case, strings, cleaning cloth, picks, guitar strap, and an instructional DVD.
The chrome tuning knobs are specifically crafted for the guitar to be easily tuned. The electrical system is reliable and emits a sound that is bound to please.
What We Like About Fender CD-60SCE
What We Don’t Like About Fender CD-60SCE
The guitar weighs almost 16 pounds and we think that beginners will find this model quite heavy while playing.
- Easy to tune
- Reliable electrical system
- Made of high-quality mahogany wood
2. Epiphone DR-100
- Songmaker DR-100 Features: Classic go-to Dreadnought Shape, Select Spruce top, and Mahogany Body & Neck
- Additional Details: SlimTaper C-profile neck, Epiphone Sloped Dovewing headstock, and Premium Die Cast tuners
- Epiphone is one of American's oldest and most revered instrument makers. Since 1873, Epiphone has made instruments for every style of popular music.
The DR-100 comes in a genuinely professional-looking “vintage sunburst” style. The aesthetic quality of this guitar will leave your audience very impressed. Made of rosewood combined with the spruce top and mahogany body, the guitar produces a fantastic sound when compared with many other wood types.
This headstock’s 14-degree angle is one ideal beginner guitar as it provides good support with smooth chord transitions. Simple but reliable in nature, this famous acoustic features a dreadnought body shape with an all-laminate construction and a beautiful high-gloss finish.
What We Like About Epiphone DR-100
The 20-fret mahogany neck is easy to play along with the SlimTaper profile. This ensures speed and comfort, which makes the practice sessions fun.
Although it’s a budget option, it still sounds pretty fantastic, with a rich, clean, and well-balanced tone. This helps beginners to clearly hear themselves during play.
What We Don’t Like About Epiphone DR-100
There have been complaints regarding the durability of the strings of this guitar.
- Epiphone’s SlimTaper profile for ease in playing
- Rich, clean, and well-balanced tone
- High-gloss finish
- Strings not durable enough
3. Yamaha FS800
Yamaha FS800 is a smaller-framed acoustic guitar that is perfect for beginners and people with shorter arms. Some musicians find smaller guitars easier to use and can also use them to teach children.
The FS800 is smaller and thinner than the Yamaha FG series models, making it easier and better to use. Plus, because it comes with a hardshell case, you’re guaranteed protection for your guitar whether you’re on-the-go or storing it at home.
This makes it the perfect model if you’re always traveling. Its strength resonates from the lifespan down to its sound, which stays balanced with no loss of bass or volume.
Its great sound and power that lasts can be credited to the strong Sitka spruce top, the nato neck, and the rosewood sides.
What We Like About Yamaha FS800
The FS800 has accurate and well-balanced sounds that don’t compromise its robust energy. Although it has a thinner body, it still sounds good and has the perfect tone to pick and record.
Compared with others of a similar price range, it has an affordable price with great value and also comes with an entire kit.
What We Don’t Like About Yamaha FS800
For some musicians, the size of the concert acoustic guitar may be too small. Also, there is no inlay or mark on the third fret.
4. Seagull S6
- Made in North America
- Select Pressure Tested Top
- Double Action Truss Rod
- Tapered Headstock for precise and stable tuning and great for open tunings
- Tusq nut and compensated saddle for better intonation
The S6 succeeds in showing both a new style while retaining a traditional dreadnought’s conventional feel. It’s not filled like some others with abalone and elaborate decoration – that kind of design definitely has its charm but the S6’s simple, understated nature is so appealing.
The S6 features a 24.84” scale length with solid cedar under pressure on the top, a wild cherry on the back and sides, all with a light semi-gloss lacquer finish. The S6 feels robust, durable and refined due to the skillful craftsmanship.
You will find a collection of specially arranged tuning machines that promise to keep the strings strong and steady in tuning.
What We Like About Seagull S6
It offers a rich, warm tone, and considering the cedar top, the tone is surprisingly bright. It’s very loud and clear with great sustain.
What We Don’t Like About Seagull S6
Some guitarists may find that it has excessively bright or vibrant sounds. Also, it is a bit more expensive than the usual acoustic guitar.
- Skillfully crafted and durable
- Rich, warm tone
- Good tuning machines give steady tuning
- Some musicians might find the sound to be too vibrant
5. Donner 36” Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar Package
- Most Complete Beginner Guitar Package: Donner acoustic guitar kit includes 36 inch acoustic guitar, padded gig bag, strap, digital clip-on tuner, capo, pickguard, extra pack of steel strings, truss rod, 4 celluloid picks and clean cloth. Comes with most necessary accessories beginners need. A cost-effective guitar set saves time on buying accessories additionally
- 36 inch Dreadnought Body : Perfect combination of tone and playing comfort. More pronounced and punchy for picking or lead. Improve comfort of players with small hands. A great beginner guitar for adults, teens, students, children, etc. 3/4 scale 36 inch small dreadnought body features it’s more portable for travel, gig or class
- Rich Warm Resonant Sound: Spruce top and laminated mahogany back and sides with scalloped X bracing has far better resonance, fullness and durability than other wood. 36 inch dreadnought body shape has better bass, better volume and fuller sound. Suited for all styles of music
- Stay in Tune: Constructed with high quality alloy metal made tuning machine, phosphor bronze strings with high carbon steel hex core, high hardness bridge saddle and bone nut, Donner acustica guitarra is easy to tune and hold tune after first tune-up of strings. 20 brass frets with fret position marks at 3th, 5th, 7th, 9th, 12th, 15th and 17th frets on neck and top of fingerboard
- Playability: Donner guitar starter kit with smooth fretboard and C shaped neck profile allows sliding up and down fretboard smoothly without scratching fingers and offers players a comfortable and secure grip. Preset decent action for easy fretting. Accessories pack comes with a truss rod to help adjust action(neck height) for your favorite action or avoiding fret buzz
This acoustic guitar’s design makes it a versatile option for beginners. Its 3⁄4 scale is particularly suitable for younger players, while its dreadnought body and right-hand layout make it suitable for all ages.
You have a variety of types to choose from in terms of appearance, from lighter to darker tones of color.
With this kit, you get everything that you get in the other kits, as well as a capo. Capos are used to clamping on the frets to allow you to play on higher octaves without barring the same fret on each chord.
Capos are very rarely sold in sets, so this one is a steal. Made for acoustic guitars from the two best types of wood, this dreadnought doesn’t waste an inch of space.
What We Like About Donner 36” Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar Package
The Donner 36” Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar produces beautiful, vibrant and warm sounds that make it perfect for all kinds of music genres. Its back of mahogany wood also allows richer tones to pull through whenever you practice or perform.
What We Don’t Like About Donner 36” Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar Package
There have been complaints regarding the guitar’s durability. For many users, the fretboard was found to be off level and the strings came loose as the tuning didn’t hold for long.
- Vibrant and warm sounds
- Capo included in the kit which lets you play higher octaves
- Multiple variations in color are available
- Not highly durable
Our personal favorite on the list is Epiphone DR-100 because of its quality mahogany body, a perfect headstock angle for beginners, and easy-to-play neck along with a SlimTaper profile. Not only is it inexpensive but it also emits a rich, balanced tone.
However, if you’re not fond of Epiphone guitars, we’ve mentioned other models that you can choose from. So feel free to pick a guitar that you find ideal and start learning!
Read Other Related Reading: