Best Acoustic Guitar Strings for 2022 [Our Reviews and Comparisons]
Music Authority may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
All guitarists are picky when it comes to choosing their guitar strings. It is important to have the right set of strings regardless of the type of guitar you have. Choose too thick and you might end up hurting your fingers, too thin and you might be stranded with a set of snapped strings.
To help you select the right guitar strings that suit your needs we have come up with the five best acoustic guitar strings. These guitar strings will improve your tone and playing style.
Related Article: Best Electric Guitar For 2020
|1. Elixir Strings 80/20 Bronze Nanoweb
Buy on Amazon
|2. Martin MEC13
Buy on Amazon
|3. D’Addario EJ16-3D
Buy on Amazon
|4. Ernie Ball Earthwood
No products found.
No products found.
Buy on Amazon
Our Best Acoustic Guitar Strings Reviews and Comparisons
1. Elixir Strings 80/20 Bronze Nanoweb
- Acoustic guitar strings constructed with 80/20 (80% copper, 20% zinc) bronze wrap wire
- Played for a crisp, bright tone with an expressive, vibrant presence
- Ultra-thin NANOWEB Coating provides a more traditionally textured, “uncoated” feel
- Our patented coating technology protects against common corrosion, extending tone life longer than any other brand’s coated or uncoated strings (Elixir Strings player survey)
- Light gauge: .012 .016 .024 .032 .042 .053
Tired of the hassle and cost of constant string changes? Have a look at the Elixir Strings 80/20 Bronze Nanoweb which is completely coated to last you much longer than the uncoated strings. Unlike other guitar strings, these strings come with a bronze and zinc wrap reducing your breakage problems.
These acoustic strings are constructed with 80/20 (80% copper, 20% zinc) bronze wrap. The wire boasts a crisp and bright tone.
It is also fitted with ultra-thin Nanoweb coating which allows a more traditionally textured, uncoated feel. These strings are equipped with anti-rust plating, which protects against common corrosion and ensures longer tone life.
What We Like About Elixir Strings 80/20 Bronze Nanoweb
The Nanoweb coating of the string contributes to a full-bodied tone and high-end clarity with a traditional feel.
What We Don’t Like About Elixir Strings 80/20 Bronze Nanoweb
These strings are a little expensive compared to other acoustic guitars.
- Lasts long
- Fitted with anti-rust plating
2. Martin MEC13 Clapton’s Choice Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings
- LEGENDARY GUITAR SOUNDS: Engineered to resist corrosion with legendary tone and playability, Eric Clapton strings are approved for studio and stage. Add this set of professional guitar strings to your touring or recording gear today.
- SIGNATURE SERIES: Play the strings that Eric Clapton chooses for the studio and stage. This pack of high-quality guitar strings will help you to get the most out of your music. Whether you play flat-picking, fingerstyle, or slide guitar, these strings will become a regular in your rotation.
- STRING SOUNDS: Designed to bring out a full and balanced tone from your guitar, these phosphor bronze acoustic guitar strings can be used for fingerpicking, pick playing, and other methods. Play with these strings for any genre—rock, bluegrass, country, folk, blues, and more.
- MEDIUM-GAUGE ACOUSTIC GUITAR STRINGS: Measuring from a 0.013" high E string to a 0.056" low E string, these are high-quality acoustic guitar strings that brighten the natural tuning of your guitar, including tenor, mid-tones, and bass. They feature a tension of 190.9.
- CLAPTON'S CHOICE ACOUSTIC: With Martin Guitar Clapton's Choice, you get a total set of strings designed for performance and playability. Martin guitars and accessories remain the choice for musicians around the world for their unrivaled quality, craftsmanship, and tone.
Martin Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings are termed as Clapton’s choice, because they are a favorite of the guitar legend Eric Clapton. Priced reasonably, these strings endorsed by Clapton himself is definitely worth a try.
These Phosphor Bronze strings make sure that the tone you hit is bright and warm. These strings can get your tonewood to shine, giving you a well-balanced tone.
The 92/8 blend of copper and zinc in the strings along with a touch of phosphorus helps give out a mellower tone. Same as the one Eric Clapton is known for.
What We Like About Martin MEC13 Clapton’s Choice Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings
The Martin MEC13’s uncoated strings maintain a steady level of clarity for a long time.
What We Don’t Like About Martin MEC13 Clapton’s Choice Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings
These are medium strings and may not be an ideal choice for a beginner.
- Well balanced sound
- Not for a beginner
3. D’Addario EJ16-3D Phosphor Bronze Light
- MOST POPULAR – Pursue your passion with D’Addario’s most popular acoustic guitar string set, the Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings. Since 1974, phosphor strings have been known for superb, long lasting tone and comfortable playability. They are the choice of professionals worldwide.
- INSPIRING PERFORMANCE – These light acoustic guitar strings help you achieve amazing performances, as they offer a long lasting, warm, bright and balanced acoustic tone with excellent intonation.
- CORROSION-RESISTANT – These strings feature a precision wound corrosion resistant phosphor bronze wire that is carefully drawn around a hexagonally shaped, high-carbon steel core. The result is consistent, long lasting tone.
- STRING GAUGES – The string gauges in this acoustic string set include: Plain Steel .012, .016, Phosphor Bronze Wound .024, .032, .042, .053.
- MADE IN THE USA – D’Addario leverages centuries of string-making experience and advanced computer-controlled winding technology to bring you the most durable, consistent and long-lasting guitar strings. Made in the USA for the highest quality and performance, only D’Addario strings are sealed inside and out.
The D’Addario EJ16-3D Phosphor Bronze Light is a perfect example of their craftsmanship and is popular among guitar players. The strings are versatile and boast high performance and quality.
They are made from Phosphor Bronze, a technology first introduced to the market by this string manufacturer in 1974.
The EJ Acoustic Guitar Strings are precision wound with corrosion resistant Phosphor Bronze. These are wound on a carefully drawn, hexagonally shaped, high carbon steel core.
This contributes to a long lasting, bright acoustic tone with a great intonation.
What We Like About D’Addario EJ16-3D Phosphor Bronze Light
The Phosphor Bronze coating is corrosion resistant, therefore the strings last longer.
What We Don’t Like About D’Addario EJ16-3D Phosphor Bronze Light
It is an expensive set of strings.
- Corrosion resistant
- Well balanced tone
4. Ernie Ball Earthwood Medium Light Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Strings
No products found.
Ernie Ball 80/20 bronze acoustic strings provide a crisp, bright sound with pleasing overtones. Made from 80% copper and 20% zinc, this has been used by popular artists including the Eagles, Elvis Costello and Joe Bonamassa.
These strings are made of 80% copper and 20% zinc wire wound around a hex shaped tin plated steel core wire. The steel core adds to the durability of the strings.
What We Like About Ernie Ball Earthwood Medium Light Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Strings
One of the best budget light strings, these produce a great warm sound.
What We Don’t Like About Ernie Ball Earthwood Medium Light Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Strings
These strings are not durable because they aren’t corrosion resistant. So sweaty hands may not be ideal for strumming the strings.
- Great for the price
- Strings are made for playing rock and blues
- Not corrosion resistant
5. Martin SP 92/8 Acoustic Guitar Strings
- Martin MSP4100 SP Studio Performance 92/8 Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings, Light
- Light Gauges: 12-16-25-32-42-54.
- Bronze alloy for brilliance and long life
- Studio-quality performance
- 92/8 Composition Alloy
If you are a guitarist looking to hone your skills, then these medium strings are the right choice for you. Before you choose a heavy string that will hurt your hands, try a medium string for your practice sessions.
The Martin SP 92/8 Acoustic Guitar String is made of a 92/8 composition alloy which contributes to both durability and performance. Martin uses a special winding alloy for improving tonality.
The guitar strings are made to give brilliance, clarity, and longevity to your guitar tunes. You will get the deep bass sounds and at the same time can listen to the bright and clear trebles.
What We Like About Martin SP 92/8 Acoustic Guitar Strings
These strings don’t damage easily as it sports strong wire and core wrapping.
What We Don’t Like About Martin SP 92/8 Acoustic Guitar Strings
The Martin SP 92/8 Acoustic Guitar String is not advisable for beginners because light strings are generally recommended for beginner practice sessions.
- Deep bass
- Not ideal for beginners
We declare the Elixir Strings 80/20 Bronze Nanoweb as the best acoustic guitar string from the listicle. These Elixir strings feature a Nanoweb coating that will deliver you a bright, lively tone.
These strings are also durable and reduce your breakage problems, thereby, saving you money.
Some of the important factors that you have to consider while investing in acoustic strings are gauge, material and the coating on the wire. The coating is a strong factor that can decide the durability of the string.
Ultimately, it will take some trial and error rounds to find the perfect guitar string.
Hope this article helps you choose a set of acoustic guitar strings that will suit your style.
More to read: