Best Acoustic Guitar Pickups for 2020 [Our Reviews and Comparisons]
Music Authority may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Are you looking for the best acoustic guitar pickups in town? Check out this compilation of ours to find a product that’s best aligned with your expectations.
Guitar performances are never complete without certain accessories. Most of you would probably quickly recall amplifiers, the gadgets that make those rock concerts, or even small gigs for that matter, electrifying. Guitar pickups are also equally essential for making those gigs enthralling for the audiences.
However, considering the abundance of these instruments across virtual stores and electronic gadgets, choosing the right device may seem to be an uphill task. Especially if you are taking baby steps towards being a professional musician and have a long way to go. Several beginners are naive about the best guitar pickups suited for them.
Here’s a compilation of the best acoustic guitar pickups in town currently. Hopefully, this should resolve all your ambiguities.
Read Related Reading: Best Acoustic Electric Guitar under $500
|1. K&K Pure Mini Acoustic Guitar Pickup|
Buy on Amazon
|2. LR Baggs Anthem Tru-Mic Pickup|
Buy on Amazon
|3. Seymour Duncan Woody HC Hum-Canceling Soundhole Pickup|
|4. DiMarzio DP136 Acoustic Guitar Pickup|
Buy on Amazon
|5. Fishman Rare Earth Humbucker Magnetic Soundhole Acoustic Pickup|
Buy on Amazon
Our Best Acoustic Guitar Pickups Reviews and Comparisons
1. K&K Pure Mini Acoustic Guitar Pickup
K&K Pure Mini is an economical, easy-to-install acoustic guitar pickup that is ideal for solo performances or even a choir.
The most noteworthy feature of the K&K Pure Mini Acoustic Guitar Pickup is its three-transducer pickup system which makes it ideal for steel-string guitars. This guitar pickup also includes a ¼-inch endpin jack, which is responsible for its great performance.
What We Like About K&K Pure Mini Acoustic Guitar Pickup
Not only is it one of the cheapest products available currently, but it also doesn’t require any batteries and delivers high output. The bass and treble sound accurate and the pickup manages to create a beautiful mid-tone too.
What We Don’t Like About K&K Pure Mini Acoustic Guitar Pickup
At high volumes, the feedback generated by the pickup becomes very evident. This implies you cannot rely on this K&K product for concerts or band performances. However, it is definitely a beginner’s delight.
- Musical output is impressive: accurate treble and bass and a soothing mid-tone too
- Easy to install
- Prominent feedback can be noticed at high volumes
2. LR Baggs Anthem Tru-Mic Pickup
- Patented TRUMIC carries the majority of the guitars’ frequency range while the Element Pickup carries the lowest frequencies
- Mix control blends between the TRU MIC augmented with low frequency support from the Element Pickup and full-range Element Pickup
- Noise cancelling microphone technology eliminates any annoying honky or boxy qualities from the inside of the guitar
- Soundhole preamp includes volume, mix, phase inversion, battery check, and mic trim controls
- All discrete pre-contoured soundhole preamp with preset crossover
Manufactured by a brand that’s carved a niche for its finesse in guitar pickups, this unique gadget has distinguished mic and volume controls.
The LR Baggs Anthem Tru-Mic Pickup includes a mix control that comprises of the mic as well as pickup settings. These greatly enhance the performance of a guitar. It also includes a master volume and mic level control as well.
What We Like About LR Baggs Anthem Tru-Mic Pickup
Feedback is minimized to a large extent thanks to the inclusion of a phase inversion mechanism. This is a shortcoming a lot of acoustic guitar pickup manufacturers haven’t been able to overcome.
What We Don’t Like About LR Baggs Anthem Tru-Mic Pickup
The LR Baggs Anthem Tru-Mic Pickup is one of the costliest guitar pickups around. If the price is a big concern, then skip this option. The pickup isn’t compatible with all instrument cables and doesn’t cancel cellphone chatter efficiently.
- Minimal feedback compared to a lot of acoustic guitar pickups
- Not compatible with all kinds of instrument cables
3. Seymour Duncan Woody HC Hum-Canceling Soundhole Pickup
Easily the cheapest guitar pickup, the Seymour Duncan comprises of a wooden body that’s high on aesthetics. The product’s greatest ability is to curb the humming to a degree that’s higher than even some of the most expensive guitar pickups today.
This guitar pickup comprises a ¼-inch maple jack and a magnetic transducer, which play a pivotal role in curbing the humming.
What We Like About Seymour Duncan Woody HC Hum-Canceling Soundhole Pickup
If you are looking for the cheapest possible acoustic guitar pickup, this Seymour Duncan invention is just made for you. Its economic price shouldn’t be misunderstood for low-quality since the pickup does a great job of managing distortion.
What We Don’t Like About Seymour Duncan Woody HC Hum-Canceling Soundhole Pickup
The Seymour Duncan Woody HC Hum-Canceling Soundhole Pickup is vulnerable to interference from various sources in its ambiance.
- One of the cheapest acoustic guitar pickups
- Curbs distortion well
- Not great at canceling interference
4. DiMarzio DP136 Acoustic Guitar Pickup
- Incredibly crisp treble and tight bass response, plus patented 60-cycle hum reduction
- For all steel-string guitars with soundholes measuring between 3-11/16" and 4-1/8" in diameter
- It installs easily beneath the strings, with shock-absorbing foam lining the inside edges of the mounting brackets to keep the Super Natural Plus(TM) in place and protect the soundhole
- If necessary, the foam can be cut down to accommodate guitars with smaller soundholes
- There are individual adjustable poles for each string, and the built-in 12-foot cable is thin and light, constructed to be strong and durable
This DiMarzio invention is best suited for purists who detest the idea of drilling holes into a guitar, yet would like to amplify the output slightly to enhance the performance at those gigs.
DiMarzio DP136 comprises of sound holes measuring 3-11/16 and 4-1/8 inches in diameter. The inside edges of the mounting brackets include a shock-absorbing foam that sort of protects the soundhole. The makers have included individual adjustable poles and the pickup also includes a built-in 12-foot cable that’s thin and light.
What We Like About DiMarzio DP136 Acoustic Guitar Pickup
A lot of guitar pickups offer feedback but not the DiMarzio DP136, which is its greatest advantage. In addition, the makers have included a built-in volume control, which can be easily adjusted even while you are on-stage in the middle of a gig.
What We Don’t Like About DiMarzio DP136 Acoustic Guitar Pickup
Although easy to install, the sound quality that this guitar pickup offers falls below expectations as compared to those manufactured by other brands.
- Comprises of a patented 60-cycle hum reduction mechanism
- Installs easily beneath strings
- Sound output doesn’t live up to the expectations.
5. Fishman Rare Earth Humbucker Magnetic Soundhole Acoustic Pickup
- Fishman is dedicated to helping musicians achieve the truest sound possible whenever they plug in.
- The Rare Earth Humbucking pickup has been carefully re-voiced and fine-tuned to offer an even smoother treble response than their popular, category-defining predecessors.
- Equipped with cutting-edge neodymium magnets, the new Rare Earth pickups offer a warmer, more naturally acoustic tone, along with exceptional accuracy and increased musicality.
The brand needs no introduction, especially to those of you who are well-versed with the music apparatus. The pickup has been fine-tuned to help achieve a better treble response.
The Fishman Rare Earth Humbucker Magnetic Soundhole Acoustic Pickup includes neodymium magnets that help generate a warm, more naturally acoustic tone.
What We Like About Fishman Rare Earth Humbucker Magnetic Soundhole Acoustic Pickup
The neodymium magnets are the components that contribute to exceptional accuracy and enhance the overall musical output of your instruments.
What We Don’t Like About Fishman Rare Earth Humbucker Magnetic Soundhole Acoustic Pickup
The flaws of the Rare Earth humbucker are its size and the significantly long time taken in adjusting and positioning the pickup.
- Neodymium magnets help generate a warm, more naturally acoustic tone
- Manages to achieve exceptional accuracy
- Time taken to adjust and position the pickup are long
We hope you really liked our compilation of the best acoustic guitar pickups and could zero-in on a few gadgets from this list aligned with your expectations.
Going by the research we indulged in, the DiMarzio DP136 Acoustic Guitar Pickup seems to be one of the best gadgets available today. The care that has been taken to ensure the gadget can be bridged seamlessly with different kinds of guitars and can be easily adjusted for high/low volumes, makes it ideal for gigs and those big-scale concerts.
We hope this list has given you a clearer picture of what sort of guitar pickup is more suited for you.
Read Related Reading: Best Travel Guitar