Best Microphones for 2021 [Our Reviews and Comparisons]
Music Authority may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
If you are planning to buy a microphone, then you have to look at a number of factors before investing in one. Ultimately, it depends on the intended use.
There are a variety of expensive and reasonably priced microphones in the market to cater to the needs of both home and professional recorders.
Based on price and features we have come up with five best microphones in the market that can improve your recording quality.
Related Article: Best Karaoke Microphones for 2020
Best Microphones – Comparison Table
|1. Razer Seiren X
Buy on Amazon
|2. Samson G Track Pro USB
Buy on Amazon
|3. Shure MV5
Buy on Amazon
|4. Blue Yeti Pro
Buy on Amazon
|5. Audio Technica AT2020 USB+
Buy on Amazon
Our Best Microphones Reviews and Comparisons
1. Razer Seiren X
- The #1 Best-Selling Gaming Peripherals Manufacturer in the US: Source - The NPD Group, Inc. U.S. Retail Tracking Service, Keyboards, Mice, PC Headset/Pc Microphone, Gaming Designed, based on dollar sales, 2017-2021
- Built-In background Noise Reduction: Utilizes a supercardiod pickup microphone to eliminate distracting noises further away from the microphone for professional-grade stream audio
- Built-In Shock Mount: Dampens vibrations to help protect against bumps for smooth and uninterrupted audio
- Zero Latency Monitoring: Allows for real-time in-stream monitoring without confusing echos
If you want to set up a recording studio, but have budget restrictions, you can chose to buy the Razer Seiren X. This microphone will fit into your budget and at the same time give you a superior quality audio.
Razer Seiren X belongs to the broadcaster series of Razer’s microphone lineup and is a condenser microphone made for streaming. This mic is designed specifically for streamers who are looking to enhance their initial setup.
Seiren X is a compact microphone which demands less space and therefore is easy to carry with you. It features a supercardioid pickup pattern which helps the mic narrow the recording angle reducing background noises.
To reduce the background noises further, it has an in-built shock mount which reduces vibrations. Noises from random knocking, keyboard typing, and vibrations on the desk is barely noticeable while recording on Razer Seiren X.
What We Like About Razer Seiren X
This Razer microphone is fine tuned to produce precise recording. Recording in isolation with the Razer Seiren X can work wonders. It can pick up the finer details of higher frequencies and the recorded voice has a punch to it.
It is a perfect choice for streamers, especially on the go streamers, as it is lightweight, transport-friendly and promotes quick setups and packdowns.
What We Don’t Like About Razer Seiren X
To get the advertised high definition 24 bit, 192 kHz performance you have to install additional drivers from Razer’s synapse software.
- Compact design
- Reduces background noise
- Only supercardioid pickup pattern
- No gain control
2. Samson G Track Pro USB
- All-in-one: Professional USB microphone with audio interface. Record your voice and instrument at the same time.
- The right mic: Ideal for streaming, gaming, podcasting, and recording music
- At your fingers: Front panel mixer with microphone level, instrument level and headphone volume controls. Selectable Mono or 2-Track recording modes and Direct Monitor on/off.
- Built for the studio: Dual 1" (25 millimeter) condenser capsules with three selectable pick up patterns - Cardioid (unidirectional), bidirectional and omnidirectional
- High Definition Audio: 24-bit, 96kHz resolution. Plug-and-play, no driver installation required
Samson G Track Pro USB is a plug and play ready mic, perfect for recording vocals. Fitted with dual diaphragm condenser capsules the mic can pick up the finest details of your audio.
The Samson G Track Pro USB is a condenser microphone that boasts superior sound quality. It is a favorite choice among musicians, streamers and gamers. Although priced higher than its competitors the product’s features are bang for the buck.
The Samson G Track Pro can handle a sound pressure level (SPL) of 120dB. The recording quality of the mic is accentuated by the dual 1″ large-diaphragm condenser capsules that can capture audio to the highest detail.
The mic has the capacity to capture your audio at 24-bit/96kHz.
As the name suggests the mic is powered by the USB port, therefore, a phantom power source is not required. Other inputs include a 1/4″ rear input sound which makes the audio crystal clear.
It also allows the mic to work as an audio interface where you can play both mic and instrument simultaneously.
What We Like About Samson G Track Pro USB
The Samson G Track Pro is known for its premium audio quality. It can be used for your streaming session as well as your gaming session.
What We Don’t Like About Samson G Track Pro USB
Samson G Track Pro is an expensive mic and is recommended for professional recorders.
- Superior sound quality
- Frequency response- 50Hz–20kHz
3. Shure MV5
- Custom-tuned microphone capsule provides superior audio
- iOS and USB connectivity offers instant setup at home or on the go - no need for additional adapters or connection kits (Apple MFi certified)
- Record, edit, and share recordings from the free ShurePlus MOTIV iOS app
- Three onboard DSP preset modes quickly dial in the right sound, or use the free ShurePlus MOTIV mobile app for enhanced recording and editing control over EQ, compression and more
- Compatible with popular iOS audio and video apps
Looking for a cheap but quality microphone for home recording with great audio, then consider buying the Shure MV5 microphone. Shure has been famous for manufacturing premium microphones for decades.
The Shure MV5 hails from Shure’s ‘Motiv Digital Microphones’ series and is the least expensive among its product lineup.
Shure MV5 is a plastic cast microphone which comes in grey and red colors. It is relatively smaller in size compared to other microphones of the Shure series. Since most of the mic is made of plastic it is easily portable, allows easy setup and requires only a tiny space.
The mic is roughly a 2.5 inch sphere covered by a sturdy plastic grill. A cardioid-pattern 16mm condenser rests inside the grill which picks up the audio.
Other external features of the mic include a 3.5mm low-latency headphone jack at the back of the mic and a USB port. The back panel features a dial to control headphone volume, a mute button and a mode selector.
The mode selector helps shift between three Digital Signal Processing (DSP) modes, namely, voice, instrument, and flat modes.
What We Like About Shure MV5
The mic can be tuned to fit any occasion via the hardware DSP settings. The ShurePlus Motiv app also helps in in-app tuning. The app lets you tweak MV5’s EQ and compression modes.
What We Don’t Like About Shure MV5
This mic cannot be used for professional gigs because it features only a cardioid pickup pattern.
- Frequency response 20Hz to 20kHz
- Easy setup
- Only Cardioid pattern
- Easily knocked over
4. Blue Yeti Pro
- Three custom condenser capsules and four different polar pattern settings: Cardioid, Stereo, Bidirectional and Omnidirectional
- Cutting-edge A-D converter chip and separate analog circuit path for use with professional studio mixers and preamps
- Built-in headphone amplifier for zero-latency monitoring, and direct controls for headphone volume, pattern selection, mute, and microphone gain
- 15 Hz - 22 kHz frequency response. Headphone Amplifier: Signal to Noise 114dB. Yeti Pro is not capable of simultaneous analog and digital operation. To ensure proper operation, only connect the digital (USB) or analog (XLR) connectors at any given time. In the event Yeti Pro becomes unresponsive, simply unplug all connections for 10 seconds and re-connect your Yeti Pro with the desired output cable.
- 192 kHz/24 bit Sample/Word. Proprietary capsule design to capture sounds with detail and articulation
The Blue Yeti Pro is the perfect pick for your professional recording gigs. These condenser USB microphones can be used for recording a variety of vocals including choirs, duets, and even entire bands.
Yeti Pro features a 24-bit/192kHz resolution recording performance. The mic offers four polar patterns, cardioid, bi-directional, omnidirectional and stereo. It has three custom condenser capsules which contribute to clarity of your recording.
The Yeti Pro can be used as a USB microphone as well as an XLR microphone. This feature lets you connect directly to your Mac or PC and record your vocals without an interface.
If you are using an interface then a 48V DC phantom power is required to power the mic. The XLR functionality lets you connect a dual XLR breakout cable to mixers, high-end preamps and other studio gear.
What We Like About Blue Yeti Pro
The Blue Yeti Pro is built to record higher sound volumes with a sample rate all the way up to 192 kHz.
What We Don’t Like About Blue Yeti Pro
The Blue Yeti Pro is an expensive investment.
- Four polar patterns
- USB and XLR connectivity
- Frequency response 20Hz – 20kHz
- Setup requires the installation of a driver that differs depending on the device connected to it
5. Audio Technica AT2020 USB+
- This Certified Refurbished product is factory refurbished, shows limited or no wear, and includes all original accessories plus a 90-day warranty
- The price/performance standard in side-address studio condenser microphone technology
- Ideal for project/home-studio applications, High SPL handling and wide dynamic range provide unmatched versatility
- Custom-engineered low-mass diaphragm provides extended frequency response and superior transient response
- Cardioid polar pattern reduces pickup of sounds from the sides and rear, improving isolation of desired sound source
Audio Technica’s AT2020 is a reasonably priced mic which accompanies accessories including a stand mounting swivel clamp, a small tripod desk stand and a 10-foot USB cable. AT2020 USB+ can record numerous vocal styles and can also function as an acoustic instrument mic.
AT2020 USB+ records superb sound quality and can deliver tones that are easier on the ear. The mic can handle a maximum SPL of 144dB and showcase a frequency response of 20Hz to 16kHz.
The mic features two dials. One is for headphone volume control and the other dial is to mix between the mic’s audio and the computer’s audio. The second dial helps maintain the balance between the direct signal from the mic and the computer’s stereo output which allows zero latency monitoring.
What We Like About Audio Technica AT2020 USB+
The AT2020 is versatile and has a maximum sound handling capacity of 144 dB.
What We Don’t Like About Audio Technica AT2020 USB+
This medium-diaphragm cardioid mic is limited to cardioid pickup pattern and therefore can capture noises from the background.
- Frequency response 20Hz to 16kHz
- Comes with a swivel clamp
- Only Cardioid pattern
- Can pick up background noises
We choose the Razer Seiren X as the best microphone because of its versatility. It can be used by recorders, gamers, streamers and podcasters alike.
Specifically designed for streamers, it sports supreme audio quality and recording quality. It has narrow soundstage eliminating background noises that can interfere with your recording. Also, it is not heavy on your pocket making it a worthy investment.
Hope you liked our microphone choices! Now you can pick the one that suits your needs best.