Best Headphones for Music Production in 2022 [Reviews and Comparisons]
Music Authority may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
You were probably holed up for hours in that compact studio space, even giving up on food and sleep, to produce the best music score. A common activity during music production is repeatedly listening to each node, loop, high and low, in a bid to achieve perfection.The best headphones that renders crystal clear audio quality makes the effort all the more worthwhile.
A pair of best headphones could be your best companions in music production, especially during the re-recording and mastering phases, where precision is key.
The recent months have witnessed a deluge in headphones across internet portals. However, we have handpicked five best headphones for music production that have garnered accolades for their incredible sound quality. This compilation should hopefully give you a clearer idea about best headphones suited for you.
|1. BeyerDynamic DT770 Professional Studio Headphone
Buy on Amazon
|2. Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone
Buy on Amazon
|3. Sennheiser HD 650 Over-Ear Headphone
Buy on Amazon
|4. Audio-Technica ATH-M40x Professional Studio Monitor Headphone
Buy on Amazon
|5. Samson SR850 Semi-Open-Back Studio Reference Headphones
Buy on Amazon
Our Best Headphones for Music Production Reviews and Comparisons
1. BeyerDynamic DT770 Professional Studio Headphone
- Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 ohm Limited Edition Professional Studio Headphones
- Closed over-ear headphones for professional mixing in the studio
- Perfect for studio recordings thanks to their pure and high-resolution sound
- The soft, circumaural and repalceable velour ear pads ensure high wearing comfort
- Hard-wearing, durable and robust workmanship Made in Germany
The high resolution delivered by these headphones makes them perfect for sound recordings, as compared to a string of other products of its kind.
The manufacturers have ensured this product is a closed over-ear headphone, which makes it an ideal add-on to the existing equipment to music studios across the globe. A noteworthy triumph of this headphone’s design is its velour earpads which are soft, and easily replaceable. This quality in the design makes the DT770 comfortable to wear for many hours at a stretch.
See Related Article: Top 23 Best Bass Headphones of 2020
What We Like About BeyerDynamic DT770 Professional Studio Headphone
Manufactured in Germany, these headphones are highly durable and robust. Besides, there’s a 2-year warranty on these headphones. These are sound reasons why one should probably invest in this product.
What We Don’t Like About BeyerDynamic DT770 Professional Studio Headphone
The BeyerDynamic is expensive and suited for those who don’t mind spending a few bucks more for better sound audio quality. However, if you are on a shoe-string budget, you can probably skip this product from your list of considerations.
- 2-year warranty
- Highly durable and robust
- Quite expensive
2. Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone
- Neodymium magnets and 40 millimeter drivers for powerful, detailed sound
- Closed ear design provides comfort and outstanding reduction of external noises
- 9.8 foot cord ends in gold plated plug and it is not detachable; 1/4 inch adapter included
- Folds up for storage or travel in provided soft case
- Frequency Response: 10 Hertz to 20 kilohertz
The best quality of this product that makes this product worth your money, apart from being manufactured by a reputed brand, is that it has been designed to be worn for long periods. Unlike several other headphones of the past, this Sony product offers little discomfort when worn for a long duration, thanks to its unique design. This is probably why it is a favorite among music producers and beginners alike.
The closed-ear design adopted by the makers insulates listeners from external noises, thus the product excels in noise cancellation. Sony has embedded Neodymium magnets, as well as 40-millimeter drivers that are responsible for the exceptional sound quality.
What We Like About Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone
Its ability to reduce the interference of external noises while listening. Although a lot of headphones have attempted to achieve this ability before, the MDR7506’s feat is kind of unparalleled. In addition, it is also easy to fold, which makes it a convenient gadget to carry during those trips.
What We Don’t Like About Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone
It is a little on the expensive side as compared to a lot of headphones today. However, if you are willing to overlook the price aspect, this headphone is a great gadget to own, considering the fact that it has been manufactured by a reputed brand like Sony and the sound quality has been uncompromised.
- Closed ear design offers better noise cancellation
- Convenient to wear for long hours
- A little overpriced
3. Sennheiser HD 650 Over-Ear Headphone
- Specially designed acoustic silk ensures precision damping over the entire frequency range and helps to reduce THD to an incredible 0.05 percent
- Improved frequency response is 10 39,500 Hertz ( 10 dB)
- Hand selected matched driver elements; Highly optimized magnet systems for minimum harmonic and inter modulation distortion
- High power neodymium magnets deliver maximum efficiency; 3.5 millimetre jack plug. Frequency response (Headphones):10 41000 Hz
- Lightweight aluminum voice coils for very fast transient response
Although made of plastic, the Sennheiser HD 650 Over-Ear Headphones are highly durable. They are also quite light, can be easily folded, and the ear cups are aligned in a single direction, which makes the Sennheiser HD 650 a breeze to carry during those music tours.
Since they are portable and easy to fold, these headphones are less susceptible to damage when stuffed in tightly packed bags.
The Sennheiser HD 650 Over-Ear headphones have an impressive frequency range spanning from 10 to 41000 Hz. Another noteworthy feature of this product is its nominal impedance of 300 Ohms, which is quite aligned with the expectations of most musicians and gadget lovers, as far as headphones are concerned.
What We Like About Sennheiser HD 650 Over-Ear Headphone
The HD 650 is one of the best top-of-the-range, open, dynamic hi-fi stereo gadgets of its kind available today. The sound quality produced by the Sennheiser HD 650 is remarkable, which makes it ideal for music production.
What We Don’t Like About Sennheiser HD 650 Over-Ear Headphone
The headband is made of metal and can hurt you if worn for several hours at a stretch.
- 2-year warranty
- Highly portable and less susceptible to damage
- Headband design could make you feel uncomfortable when worn for many hours
4. Audio-Technica ATH-M40x Professional Studio Monitor Headphone
- Cutting edge engineering and robust construction
- 40 millimeter drivers with rare earth magnets and copper clad aluminum wire voice coils
- Circumaural design contours around the ears for excellent sound isolation in loud environments
- 90 degrees swiveling earcups for easy, 1 ear monitoring
- Professional-grade ear pad and headband material delivers more durability and comfort
A noteworthy feature is its circumaural design that offers excellent sound isolation, with almost no external noise interference. Its robust construction has made this headphone an ideal gadget for DJs to use, and musicians to wear during those live performances.
Includes 40-millimeter drivers with rare earth magnets as well as aluminum wire voice recalls which makes it a great gadget to help you better music production. The manufacturers offer two detachable cables, a 3-meter protective carrying pouch, as well as a 6.3 mm screw-on adapter along with the headphone.
What We Like About Audio-Technica ATH-M40x Professional Studio Monitor Headphone
Its noise cancellation ability and professional-grade earpad as well as a headband, which makes it easy to listen to music for hours with little discomfort.
What We Don’t Like About Audio-Technica ATH-M40x Professional Studio Monitor Headphone
Earpad and headband shed frequently, which is a design flaw the manufacturers should inspect at the earliest.
- Great noise isolation
- A good number of accessories are offered along with the product
- Ear pad and headphone sheds, although they make the headphone easy to use for long hours
5. Samson SR850 Semi-Open-Back Studio Reference Headphones
- Professional studio Reference semi-open headphones designed for tracking, mixing, mastering and playback.
- Proprietary large 50mm drivers with rare earth magnets deliver an extended frequency response and great dynamic range
- Circumaural, over-ear, design with velour cushioning provides outstanding comfort for long listening sessions
- Self-adjusting headband for optimal fit
- 1/4" Stereo Adapter included
The Samson SR850 is sort of a game-changer headphone since it is one of the cheapest gadgets of its kind available today and the sound quality it produces is top-notch. Not just music production, the incredible combination of affordability and quality this headphone offers makes it ideal for binge-watching movies and is suitable for gaming too.
These headphones are semi-open and ideal for tracking, mixing, and mastering. To ensure an impressive dynamic range and an extended frequency range, Samson has included large 50mm drivers and earth magnets in the SR850.
What We Like About Samson SR850 Semi-Open-Back Studio Reference Headphones
It is quite light and comfortable to wear for a long duration, which is the best quality any headphone should possess. The headband can also be adjusted to the extent best suited to you.
What We Don’t Like About Samson SR850 Semi-Open-Back Studio Reference Headphones
Although the quality of the product is worth applauding, these headphones have their share of flaws too. The highs rendered by these headphones are a bit harsh and more pronounced than expected. This is a shortcoming that deserves the attention of the manufacturer.
- Facilitates tracking, mastering, mixing, and playback
- Comfortable to wear for long durations
- Highs are harsher as compared to the general expectation
We hope this compilation of the best headphones for music production proved to be useful for each of you. Our research has revealed that the Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone is one of the best gadgets of its kind available today. The foremost reason being the brand’s reputation in engineering similar devices of high quality over the years.
Apart from the great sound quality, the Sony product also delivers excellent noise isolation and comfort. However, we suggest you go ahead with a bit of your own research to figure the headphone best tailored to your expectations since there are plenty of them available.