Top Rated Sony Headphones That You Can Buy In 2022
Music Authority may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Sony’s unquestionable reputation is built on a massive headphone catalog that ranges from small earbuds to large over-ear headphones. This catalog goes back to Sony’s first 1964’s Stereo Headset to now their 2022 critic favorite WH-1000XM5. While impressive, this extensive offering creates a problem for buyers when trying to navigate to find the correct headphones for themselves. That’s where we come in. This guide cuts the fluff and lets you know which headphone feature set is best for you—looking for the best-in-class noise cancellation? Battery life? Comfort? Or maybe a low price? We’ve got everything covered.
The last decade has been Sony’s most innovative. The company has dug its teeth into every headphone category and made everything wireless while not compromising battery life. As you’ll see through this list, they have improved ergonomics and design to compete with the headphone industry’s top players directly. The best part? You don’t have to spend a fortune. Sony’s products have always been made with budget buyers and enthusiasts in mind. Here you’ll find something for everyone – whether you’re a gym goer, a commuter, or even a music producer. Let’s start!
Best Sony Headphones 2022 – Comparison Table
Our Sony Headphones 2022 – Reviews and Comparisons
1 – Sony WH-1000XM5
The Sony WH-1000XM5 is the latest iteration of the company’s flagship unbeatable Active Noise Cancellation headphones with standout design and updated drivers.
- Top-tieractive noise cancellation through 2 processors and eight microphones for unparalleled noise blocking.
- Newly engineered integrated V1 processor that provides immaculate sound output.
- Upwards of 30 hours plus battery life with a quick charging feature (a small three-minute charge gives three hours of playback).
- Ultra-lightweight and comfortable design with soft finish leather material
- The multi-point simultaneous connection between two devices allows you to switch seamlessly.
- Four front-facing beam microphones allow crystal clear and hands-free precise voice pickup.
What We Like About Sony WH-1000XM5
The active noise cancellation is nothing like we’ve heard from any other product in the market. Plus, the headphones have quick touch navigation for steering through and pausing music tracks. A unique speak-to-chat feature also allows music to halt so you can interact with anyone. It learns from your environment and optimizes the sound equilibrium accordingly to provide the perfect audio experience every time. If you’re traveling to work or coming back home, it has a space-saving collapsible case that can snuggle easily inside even the smallest backpack or briefcase.
What We Don’t Like About Sony WH-1000XM5
While the WH-1000XM5 is the best-in-class active noise cancellation headphone available, it comes with a hefty premium price tag primarily targeting audio enthusiasts. Moreover, there is no official waterproof IP certification; however, customers have not complained about water damage.
2 – Sony WH-1000XM4
Sony WH-1000XM4 is a good balance of standard features, including great battery life to high-quality Bluetooth codecs with Sony’s signature inbuilt Active Noise Cancellation.
- It provides next-generation music through “Edge-AI,” created by Sony Music Studios Tokyo.
- It has superior call quality with active environmental noise canceling for better conversations.
- It can autodetect and stop playback when the headset is removed to conserve battery.
- It is a last-generation but competent dual noise-canceling sensor technology for ANC.
- Touch capability seamlessly allows voice assistant activation, call answering, and audio track control.
What We Like About Sony WH-1000XM4
The best part about Sony’s WH-1000XM4 is that it is at least 50 dollars cheaper than the updated M5 version. It has a multi-device pairing feature that allows simultaneous mobile and PC control. It also comes with a high-quality audio configuration capability through Sony’s custom application. Its inbuilt Alexa system allows hands-free music and information accessibility at all times. It has a 40 MM driver, which permits a complete sound stage reproduction of a wide range of frequencies.
What We Don’t Like About Sony WH-1000XM4
While Sony WH-1000XM4 is cheaper than its latest brother, it is still meant for enthusiasts as it has a premium price. In addition, multiple customer complaints about the double tap feature on the product not always working have caused concern amongst many long-term users.
3 – Sony LinkBuds S
The Sony LinkBuds S is a highly portable and comfortable in-ear Active Noise Cancelling Headphones with Alexa built-in.
- IPX4 certification guarantees protection against water splashes and sweat.
- Advanced voice signal postprocessing allows Ultra clear call quality
- Integrated V1 processor facilitating the creation of an immersive, high-quality sound stage
- Innovative environment behavior tracking feature allowing automatic sound adjustment
- Touch intuitive controls enable music pause and play with Alexa and cell activation
- Upwards of 20 hours of battery life with the case and without it – 6 hours
What We Like About Sony LinkBuds S
Since the Sony LinkBuds S is an in-ear headphone, it allows impeccable sound isolation empowering the noise cancellation to perform much better. Furthermore, the sound stage is impressively created with elevated highs, bass, and midrange. Battery life is also impressive, and with long hours of use, it doesn’t give you any discomfort. Even without the case, you can spend the entire day outside without using a charger. Above everything, we enjoy how portable it is with its palm-sized small form factor. The waterproof IPX4 rating is a big boon as exercising with it or facing the rain isn’t an issue.
What We Don’t Like About Sony LinkBuds S
The durability and product build of Sony LinkBuds S is not bad; however, the materials used tend to pick up dust very quickly. It has a mediocre design, and even with its limited colors, it doesn’t allow the user to stand out. Since it sets inside the ear, a regular cleaning with rubbing alcohol is a headache needed for good hygiene.
4 – Sony WHCH710N
The Sony WHCH710N is the budget chaser’s choice to an ANC headphone with substantial 35 hours of battery life and good sound quality.
- It automatically cancels surrounding sound through its smart dual noise sensor technology.
- It allows hands-free compatibility with your smartphone and navigates easily with voice assistance.
- It has a One Touch NFC Bluetooth streaming feature allowing seamless compatibility with new devices.
- It has a 30-millimeters driver unit allowing you to absorb more details of any music you’re playing.
- It has ultra-comfortable leather padding and an adjustable metal slider for small and large heads.
What We Like About Sony WHCH710N
The Sony WHCH710N has the most price-friendly tag regarding ANC devices. Its robust Bluetooth connectivity and hands-free compatibility with different smart devices are features we have enjoyed. In our testing, we found that the comfortable padding of the headphones allows hours of long-lasting sessions to go on without getting sweaty. In addition, ambient mode helps you to commute easily without worrying about your surroundings. The extended 35-hour battery life is a feature we can’t cheer enough as it can go on for over 2-3 days of non-stop music.
What We Don’t Like About Sony WHCH710N
The highs and midrange of the Sony WHCH710N could have been better in terms of music quality. Furthermore, the ear cups are not the deepest, making the music feel jarring and personal compatibility might be a concerning issue for you. Unfortunately, the hinges don’t fold towards the edges, making portability cumbersome.
5 – Sony WH-CH510
The Sony WH-CH510 is an over-the-ear Bluetooth headphone with an excellent Sidetone feature that allows audio passthrough.
- It has 10-minute quick lightspeed charging allowing 90-minute playback immediately.
- Off-the-cuff battery life is upwards of 35 hours on a single full charge.
- It shows off a swivel and sleek fold design that can fit all types of ears.
- It is incredibly lightweight and weighs a mere 4.7 ounces.
- It is excellent for teleconference meetings as it has an environment-sensing microphone.
What We Like About Sony WH-CH510
The Sony WH-CH510 is an inexpensive headphone that supports a good sound stage with impeccable highs, midrange, and bass. It also has a good battery life and can help you throughout the day and maybe another as well. The design and build of the Sony WH-CH510 are decent enough and provide high comfort. The color variety is fantastic, and we like the dark blue variant very much. It’s very portable and lightweight, making it an easy traveling choice. It has a low price tag for budget seekers as well.
What We Don’t Like About Sony WH-CH510
Very few people need to hear everything around them over their music. The Sony WH-CH510 is ideal for individuals who are commuting or going around everywhere throughout the day. However, this might not be the perfect pick for most users at homes or offices. Moreover, sound isolation is not that great. In addition, while it has standard features, it doesn’t put forward anything innovative.
As you can understand by now, Sony has everything for everyone. All their products have different purposes. For instance, Sony WHCH710N is excellent for the budget seeker. Similarly, Sony WH-CH510 is terrific for an outdoorsy person. The company aims to use two strategies. The first is to give you a standout feature and reason to buy headphones. The second is it focuses on lower pricing with its standard products, which have all the available bells and whistles every casual headphone seeker wants.
With so many options, you have the right to be confused about what to buy. We want you to have the best; undoubtedly, the Sony WH-1000XM5 is the finest in the line. While a little pricey, it is uncompromising on every front. Plus, the industry-leading innovative ANC is something that would be a treat for you if you haven’t experienced it before, so go for it.
Regardless of what you’re picking, we can’t stress enough how you’ll be in good hands when choosing a Sony Headphone. Its years of growth assure you customer service centers everywhere and support for any headset you buy. Yes, there are newer and cheaper brands to pick from, but their cost-cutting comes at a price to you through a lack of adequate customer support. You don’t want that after you’ve brought a headphone. Pick better. Pick Sony!